MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What round does your Savage .308 like?

FYT

I'm about to mount a new scope on my Savage Model 11 .308. With my old optics, I loaded Federal Trophy Copper 168 grain and they did fine but didn't blow me away either. Before I mount and zero my new scope, I want to decide which round to use.

I'd love to hear from anyone with a similar rifle what copper round your rifle "likes" the best. I'd like to do a side-by-side comparison myself, but at $50 bucks a box I also want to hear your ideas. Right now, the rounds I'm considering most strongly are the Trophy Copper 168s and Barnes Vor-TX 168.

Anyone with a similar Savage want to chime in on what round they find to be most consistent out of your rifle?

Thanks in advance!

Wish I could recommend something.
But, I haven't bought factory center fire rifle ammo since I was a teenager. I reload for all my rifles.
I have always had better grouping and performance from 150gr in the .308.

My son's Savage .308 does great with 165 accubonds . I'm loading with Lapua brass and the best powder I've used for that rifle and bullet combo was BLC-2

Reactions: FYT
I have a Savage in the 6.5x.284 and it really likes:
Lapua brass
CCI large rifle primers
49.3 gr. Hybrid 100V
143 gr. ELD-X bullets
Matt

*this may not help....

Why are you limiting yourself to copper? Do you live in Kalifornia? What will it be used for? At .308 velocity, copper bullets are not needed.

Why are you limiting yourself to copper? Do you live in Kalifornia? What will it be used for? At .308 velocity, copper bullets are not needed.

This may sound silly to some, but the main reason is that I'm hoping to feed my 2 year old and and my wife who will be breastfeeding an infant with the meat I (hopefully) harvest. It's actually a big thing for my wife- she does not at all like the idea of even tiny bits of lead potentially in the meat. Another smaller reason is that you're typically losing less meat with copper.

Was like viking guy using 150 gn TTX over varget. But may go to a Hammer copper bullet instead.

my savages all love the hornady precision hunter stuff, but thats not solid copper. I would like to switch to trophy copper on my rifles as well for the same reasons you listed. Im no hippy but when it comes to lessening any possible problems for my kiddos why wouldnt I

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back