What Old/Odd Chamberings Have You Actually Used To Kill Big Game Animals ?

Shot deer, turkeys, and/or pigs w .218 Bee, .222, 22Hornet, 250 n 300 Savage, n who knows what all else lol. We just used Wtvr grandpa threw in the truck when we were going out to feed cattle

Had a 8MM 98 Mauser with the peeps and long distance iron. Had a scope mount on it,but wasn't on it when I got it for deer and pigs. Nazi markings,the whole bit.Was told his dad got it off a sniper in the war. I sold it back to him 2 years later.
Used to use a friends 218 Bee that was always in a roof rack in his Willys pu in Sonoma co. Blacktails.

Get outta here! I know Butler. I grew up not far from 422 in OH and went to Allegheny College for a couple years. Sir, it was the way you listed off all those obscure calibers that made me think “I’ve met this kind of person”. True story, only place I’ve ever seen functional Krags is in PA. All those guns are terrific for shorter range work which is all of PA. But you didn’t have to list 16ga slugs and that’s why OH hunters buy up non-res every year.

Get outta here! I know Butler. I grew up not far from 422 in OH and went to Allegheny College for a couple years. Sir, it was the way you listed off all those obscure calibers that made me think “I’ve met this kind of person”. True story, only place I’ve ever seen functional Krags is in PA. All those guns are terrific for shorter range work which is all of PA. But you didn’t have to list 16ga slugs and that’s why OH hunters buy up non-res every year.
That's something. Through the years I have liked the odd stuff along with the common calibers. My responses have been slow. Working 12 hour shifts at the mill. Lol.

taking the Marlin 338 MXLR on its first hunt this year.
There was one of those for sale at my LGS plus four boxes of ammo for 1k. I didn't buy it because I had just bought a different rifle, but boy my mouth watered when I saw it.

There was one of those for sale at my LGS plus four boxes of ammo for 1k. I didn't buy it because I had just bought a different rifle, but boy my mouth watered when I saw it.
Just make sure you get a good one. It has to be one with JM on barrel. Any other markings and you could be asking for trouble. $1000 with ammo is really underpriced. My guess is its a Remlington. Mouth can water but do not give in.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back