What makes an Elk big?

ChrisAU

So, being a pretty inexperienced elk hunter who got mega lucky this past season, I have no frame of reference for what makes a big bull look big. Heck, I've ever only seen a branch antlered bull in real life once. As whitetail season wanes here in AL I got to thinking the other day how I can look at a Whitetail and determine if that is a good buck or not. I'm far from a trophy hunter but I do like a nice set of antlers once the freezer is full.

So for you, what constitutes a big bull in inside width, eye guard length, beam length, G3/4/5 lengths? Mass measurements? I.E., whats a wide bull and what is a tall bull? What are long beams? I can see a whitetail thats 20" wide inside but with 4" G2's and call that a wide buck, or one with 15" inside spread but 12" G2's and 11" G3's and call that a tall buck. That kind of thing.

I'm not good enough to gauge numbers by looking, and I am sure others here can provide more on that. But, I look for the relative extension of G4/5 off the main beam as a good indicator for a larger animal. A lot of younger or smaller bulls can have a nice overall frame, but 5 and 6 especially will be short.

Not antlers, but I think it's also important to look at the body. How distinct is the shoulder hump, do the ribs hang lower than the stomach, how dark and long is the neck/head fur...the extent of these traits can indicate an older bull and provide additional reference for antler size.

Caveat: I shoot the first legal bull I have a whack at, so take that with a grain of salt.

edit: forgot to add that more often than not it is my experience that most guys egregiously overestimate score when guessing antler size on bull elk from a distance

This shed was about 160” 55” main beam

Attachments

• EC3F0149-28DC-4504-AC2F-6BFC4A85CC62.jpeg
    EC3F0149-28DC-4504-AC2F-6BFC4A85CC62.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 67
There are guys out there that have this down to a science, but in general you want to look at main beam length and tine length first cause that’s where the most points come from. Main beams over 50 inches are a decent indicator, and the longer the tines the more he will score, if that is important to a hunter.

So, being a pretty inexperienced elk hunter who got mega lucky this past season, I have no frame of reference for what makes a big bull look big. Heck, I've ever only seen a branch antlered bull in real life once. As whitetail season wanes here in AL I got to thinking the other day how I can look at a Whitetail and determine if that is a good buck or not. I'm far from a trophy hunter but I do like a nice set of antlers once the freezer is full.

So for you, what constitutes a big bull in inside width, eye guard length, beam length, G3/4/5 lengths? Mass measurements? I.E., whats a wide bull and what is a tall bull? What are long beams? I can see a whitetail thats 20" wide inside but with 4" G2's and call that a wide buck, or one with 15" inside spread but 12" G2's and 11" G3's and call that a tall buck. That kind of thing.

As someone who isn't a trophy hunter and knows another one when I see one.

Yes, you are a trophy hunter. Nothing to be ashamed off but just be honest about it. Most hunting forums will be majority trophy hunters. Even if they don't want to admit it.

There is a young bull that shows up around my place, see below. To me, not being used to their size, he looks like a horse. There is another actual herd bull that lives down by the lake in Evergreen, he makes the first one look like bambi. Their antlers don't even look like the same species.

bull.jpg

1. At very first glance, big mule deer and big bulls look dis-proportionate, if that makes sense. The antler to body proportions don't
make sense in your mind, after you've looked at a bunch of 2 and 3 year old critters. Like you almost don't believe what your seeing.

2. The length, is he scratching his ass with his 6th?

3. And his fronts, do they come way out and curve up a lot? Small bulls typically don't have fronts that curve up much.

#1 is a dead give away to me, you know frikken immediately from the antler to body proportion.

Like Elk247 posted, "When you see a truly big bull you don't need to look twice."

Having lived most of my life in elk country and hunted them for 50 or so years, my perception of a big bull is different than someone who has only lived and hunted in whitetail country.

What I look for in a big elk is:
At least 6 points on each antler
The 4th points that are at least 20", and all other points (especially the 5th and 6th points) at least 12"
Main beams that are heavy and well over 4' long

Do big 5s count......I love those things
Oh yeah, they count!
My point is that you rarely see an elk with deep tail and weak 4s. Not impossible, but just rare. I also assume he is asking the question based on the inability to get out a tape measure and hold the elk down to measure it. I hate uncooperative elk. On the hoof, anyone can be fooled in the heat of the moment. It is typically because the elk shows some relative symmetry and the proportions (brow tines, 3s, 4s, etc) of a big elk.

I recall hearing long ago, long before I started elk hunting, that you know you're looking at a really big bull if it looks like he can scratch his rump with his tines when he tips his head back. I hope I see such a bull one day.

I recall hearing long ago, long before I started elk hunting, that you know you're looking at a really big bull if it looks like he can scratch his rump with his tines when he tips his head back. I hope I see such a bull one day.
We all do, I just hope it's through my peep or in my duplex of my scope.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back