what kind of weird hunting and fishing stuff did you do in college

Late one night I hit a 10 point deer in a university vehicle that I was driving . I drove back to campus, wrote my boss a note, and got in my truck and went back and got the deer.

Seriously, I don't know how I ever graduated from college as more hours were spent fishing the Gallatin and Madison Rivers than in the classroom.

To compound the scholastic challenge, the "back-in-the-day" fraternity outdoor adventures and road trips in MINERVA, the 1917 White former Yellowstone tour bus, took up many days which should have been study days. (BTW, Minerva's driver was limited to only one beer per hour, for safety sake you know! ;) Those were crazy, how-did-we-survive days.)

View attachment 258501
View attachment 258502
Which house were you in? I was a phi sig.

Wednesday the head of the history dept told me to drop by his office. "You missed class on Monday. Why?" I had to get an elk out. Why should he care? "You are one of the best students in the dept. But you need to make up your mind if you're going to be a scholar or a hunter."
I got the same lecture. In 91 I had a Gardiner late season tag. So I missed 2 of the first 4 days of class. When I got back the professor in my Shakespeare class took me aside and explained that if I was not going to show up at class that I should drop out now. I told him not to worry and never missed another class. Best English class I ever took.

Not sure it was really crazy. But I'd only take 12 credits in the fall and no classes on Monday or Friday if I could help it. Learned my lesson the first year. My roommates all hunted and fished as well. All of us would go on grand adventures all year long. We killed 3-4 elk and deer a year plus a few antelope, a bear or two and everything that flew. We had 2 freezers and ate like kings. We'd stockpile trash bags of meat to grind in the freezer (to mix with the ducks/geese) One roommate had a commercial grinder with a 3hp motor and a throat you could lose an arm in.

We had some amazing trips and hunts for months every fall. Hunted east to west. North to south. Cranes, swans, Canada's, snows, ducks etc. Had piles of good grouse spots, a few places to shoot pheasants etc. And then there was the fishing. Same thing. Loved killing giant bows on the Missouri and reservoirs, But fished everywhere within 100 miles of Butte.

We easily logged as many days in the field as the classroom.

I'd say the craziest or most memorable trip was shooting 2 antelope bucks we spotted from the rim above the Powder river. Sneakily down and shooting them, then hiking them back indian backpack style about 2 miles to the rim. No GPS in those days and just crappy BLM maps. When we finally clawed out way up the gumbo cliffs, we realized we were a mile off and hiked the wrong ridge to the top. Drinking straight chocolate milk water out of the river because we were so hungover from the blue Curacao shots the "cute" bartender in Terry was serving us.

We shot a couple turkeys, 22-250 style, a limit of sharpies, sage hens and pheasants as well. All in long weekend. We killed an unknown number of silver bullets as well.

I had to take Calc 2 three times.
Was believing everything you wrote until I got to the "cute" bartender in Terry part. Now I am skeptical.

Which house were you in? I was a phi sig.
Sixties glory days of Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE). We owned and lived in the Story Mansion at 811 South Willson. We parked Minerva the bus in the old Barn, which also housed living spaces for seniors.

Last edited:
I went to law school in Chicago. Not exactly an abundance of outdoor activities at the time (the Chicago River is MUCH cleaner now and there is some good fishing). Anyway, my family came from Michigan and had done some smelting. During the smelt run, my dad came down and we went after smelt on one of the piers. I brought along some fellow law school students. I told them that you had to bite the head off of the first smelt you brought in. Three guys did it before they realized that I wasn't bringing in the nets.

My first year in college we were flat broke and had 1 car between four of us. Being desperate to hunt, my roommate and I would regularly hitch a ride on Friday night with his older brother in the back of his truck and ride in the truck bed for a couple hours at night in sub freezing temperatures. The goal was to get to the Burbank Tavern for chicken dinner because according to the sign on the wall “ you have to be a rooster to get a finer piece of chicken” than the Burbank Tavern serves. From there the goal was get to the hunting ground by midnight because that was when it was legal to enter. Then we hiked a couple miles in the dark carrying all our goods and slept in the blind until it was time to set dekes. Do it again the next night and back to school Sunday night! It was a rare day when anyone beat us to a blind! Wish I had that drive these days!

Last edited:
Sixties glory days of Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE). We owned and lived in the Story Mansion at 811 South Willson. We parked Minerva the bus in the old Barn, which also housed living spaces for seniors.
SAE huh, I needed a vacuum cleaner for the CSU apartment, found one at a SAE party in the bathroom. Only problem was it was the second story. Solved that problem by lowering it to my housemate using the powercord.

Scheduled my fall classes for the afternoon to hunt mornings. In the spring I scheduled them to be done early to go fishing in the afternoon
I made the mistake of scheduling a class at 4pm spring semester one time. You know how hard it is to go to class when everyone else in your Fraternity is on the roof drinking beer in the warm spring sun, pretending not to be looking at the girls in the sorority across the street sitting out in their bikinis. Needless to say, bikini watching won more than it should have.

I shot a couple elk in college up in the Bridger's during the early nineties which seems really weird these days. Also, risked life and limb driving up to Hyalite to ice fish in a buddies van packed to the gill with dudes probably wearing big Johnson t shirts. The road during that time of year consisted of two three foot deep ruts in the ice
The days before they started plowing the road up to the reservoir. The evening drives my buddies and I went on sure were fun back then.

Oh yes. I know it. Late 90's into 2000's for me. They had a not so great name for that barn that started with an r when I was in college. And of course they were oh so proud of the p..."kitty" punch. I'm sure it had gone down hill quite a bit from your glory days by the time they sold the mansion.

I made the mistake of scheduling a class at 4pm spring semester one time. You know how hard it is to go to class when everyone else in your Fraternity is on the roof drinking beer in the warm spring sun, pretending not to be looking at the girls in the sorority across the street sitting out in their bikinis. Needless to say, bikini watching won more than it should have.
It always made me mad when that was the only time they’d offer classes during the day. I had a chemistry class late in the day during spring semester and the teacher barely spoke English. Most people would skip if it was nice out but I actually went. On a couple occasions there’d be only 1/3 of the class. I’d always, half jokingly, tell him he should give us extra credit for being there. And he always did. I always had the goal of having Friday off but that never worked.

It always made me mad when that was the only time they’d offer classes during the day. I had a chemistry class late in the day during spring semester and the teacher barely spoke English. Most people would skip if it was nice out but I actually went. On a couple occasions there’d be only 1/3 of the class. I’d always, half jokingly, tell him he should give us extra credit for being there. And he always did. I always had the goal of having Friday off but that never worked.
When I taught a seminar during my MA program I would give any student who attended class 60% for just being there. That was borderline passing grade. If they even spoke during class they'd net another 10%. But if they spoke through the arse without having read the reading, they would lose 10% (besides being openly humiliated when ignorance was exposed). Pop quizzes on assigned reading for the day were a good way to boost attendance. The quizzes always had an extra credit question or two. If a student had to miss a class for some reason, they could recover lost points via answering extra credit. That way I didn't have to waste time adjudicating which were viable absences and which weren't. Every semester I would have a couple of students who finished with more than 100%. It drove the prof nuts when I gave out A+. It was a short trip for that guy.

Speaking of teachers bot speaking English, I has a biology 101 lab where the TA was from India. She spoke English fine but with a heavy accent. Also the most beautiful teacher I've ever had. Most classes it wouldn't be such a big deal but when you're learning new terms it could make it touch. Such as one day she was talking about the PH of things but with her accent it was coming out p-ehhhh-ch. She had to write it on the board before any of us figured out what she was saying

My alma mater has a community service requirement for all new students. Reason for this is reparations to the town for a long-ago crime committed by a student. We were told that some jackass shot a dairy cow and then dressed it out in the dorm shower.
I joined the Marines at 17. I went to college right after (to vent from being a Marine at 17). Somewhere between the two I can remember about 50 numb-nut Ya-Who's who should have Never been introduced to beer!

I discovered that fly fishing and weed don’t mix, at least for me. I vividly remember standing in a riffle on the Truckee River, watching my Adam’s Parachute float downstream, but then noticed the way the trees backlit in the afternoon sun reflected on the water were like a window into a different dimension, and that if I could only reach through that window with the fingers of my mind I would be transported there and meet my other self. And would I even like me? What would I say? I probably wouldn’t need to say anything, because I’d already know what I was going to say, right?

And then my line would be dragging straight downstream, hung up in the rocks. Every. Frickin. Cast.
Duuudde.... Bobbler fishin in somebody's backfield pond....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back