What is this stuff coming out of my barrel?

So, I just figured it out. Guess I needed to walk away for a few minutes. It's the coating coming out of my Tipton bore guide. Guess I'll be tossing that thing. Explains why it looks like the coating I described.
I just had the same problem with my Tipton bore guide!! Scared the hell outta me. Piece of junk is going back to the store.

Attachments

• 71A73647-5D1E-4A9F-BA8C-E77958C86FC0.jpeg
    71A73647-5D1E-4A9F-BA8C-E77958C86FC0.jpeg
    542.4 KB · Views: 9
Snuck out to the range today with a clean barrel. I can confirm that @JLS was correct, as he occasionally seems to be.

Clean barrel shot 100% on par with the previously dirty barrel. So similarly that I couldn't differentiate Sunday's target from today's, had I not labeled them. Spent some time re-zeroing and it's shooting well again. (It was also 1.5" right, but that was less concerning that the elevation issues)

I've never had a scope become unreliable without a memorable explanation, until now. I must have bumped it pretty good somewhere along the way. Being that this is a "backup" gun, perhaps I wrote something off that I shouldn't have. Can't recall.

The quasi unidentifiable debris situation didn't help my sanity in this situation. I'll be looking into the above mentioned guides or finding a piece of non-reactive tubing to replace the one that is supplied with the Tipton guide.

Lastly, I had fully expected that @ImBillT was on to something with his "months in the safe copper fowling" philosophy, but that wasn't the case here. I do however appreciate the detailed input from Bill. And the interwebs were no help in defining the "graphite fowling" comment that was redacted. Perhaps that one will remain over my head for a while.

What brand of scope is it? What ring/base setup?

I actually heard a good analogy the other day on gun cleaning.
I can keep a gun consistantly clean.
I can't keep a gun consistantly dirty.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back