They plot their wicked schemes setting fate for all mankind
With evil that can fill God's pretty skies with clouds that burn and blind

How I wish somebody'd make these voices go away
Seems they're always talking but they ain't got much to say
A picture's worth a 1000 words but a word ain't worth a dime
And we all know they'll go on talking til the end of time

Sturgil isn't an easy ready....this critic agrees

I'll throw in.

I know it's pretentious but I'll say first, the real meaning of the song is whatever it means to you.

That out of the way, I'd say it's a general commentary on dishonesty and exploitation, and on duplicitous actors being part of the human experience, with a coal mining flavor in some of the metaphors - which appears in a lot of his work.

That'd be my best attempt but Harley is right, not an easy read. Sturgill is a treasure, I don't know if he's ever written a bad song!

Pretty sure its just a catalogue of the different "voices" calling out to Sturgill. Memories from the past, the earth itself, religion, but ultimately the corporate lever-pullers who lots of people from Kentucky and WV blame for all their problems.

He laments that the voices never stop, particularly the lever-pullers, in the continual downward spiral of humanity's existence. Promising one thing while delivering another.

Only Sturgill really knows but to me it seems like a lament of hard times related to the coal business in his home state of Kentucky, the effects of the environmental damage left by the coal business, and a disdain for the dishonesty of political leaders, crooked businessmen, and maybe dishonest religious leaders as well.

Yep! I've got my theory but I'd love to hear others first so I don't poison anybody's views.

Do you have any ideas?
He was 35-36 when he recorded Metamodern (2013 & 2014). Some good perspectives posted and I think everyone has to measure what it means to themselves (as per RobertD). He is no doubt one of best players, writers, and singers out there.

I believe he draws on his own experiences in the treacherous music industry, regional Kentucky stories and legends, family...etc. Or maybe he's simply an ornery outlaw country hippie. Seems like somedays he's level...others dour and pissed at the world. When he was really hard charging thru a period a couple years ago, I thought 'eff' this tortured artist guy...but he's too damn good to ignore.

Your take?

That song means you should be listening to Cody Jinks and Whitey Morgan. It actually doesn't mean that, but you should listen to Cody and Whitey. Sturgill can't go away soon enough for me.

Several others have pulled at strings that coalesce around my thoughts, much of which comes from the totality of Sturgill's work and not just this one song.

"Voices" seems to be part environmental concern as well as a commentary on the mega-complexes of the world (industrial, political, media, etc...) I also see a rejection of the war industry in the "sign of the times" verse but that may be my projecting from some of his other songs.

My take is that Sturgill is a deep thinker and I feel he is sometimes bothered by what he sees as an overly-simplistic lack-of-introspection from others that contributes to his tortured soul.

I think Sturgill is brilliant, but maybe too much so for his own good.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss... I get neither from his writings.

It's always odd to hear touring musicians bitch about fossil fuels/ the environment. They cruise town to town with semi's full of gear and ride on fuel guzzling busses. Neil Young did the same. It's sometimes hard to catch your own hypocrisy. I'm definitely guilty at times as well.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back