What is the most bears you have seen in 1 night?

Never had a bear tag before this year so havenā€™t really gone looking for them, but usually bump into at least one or two every summer.

Most in a single day was three grizzlies in Glacier NP. Two together on the east side of the divide and one solo on the west side. Last one admittedly couldā€™ve been a cinnamon black bear (we were exhausted after a 14mi hump over the divide at that point). But the first two were for sure griz. All were on the first day of my first ever backcountry trip in the Rockies. Fortunately, both interactions went as they should, with a stern ā€œhey bearā€ then seeing rumps as they ran off. Did set a certain tenor of terror over the next few nights though. Ha!

To this day I still havenā€™t seen the huge amounts of bear scat that I did during huck season on that trip across the park. It was like walking through an urban dog park where no one picks up after their pets.

My son and I saw 12 Grizzly in one day hunting spring turkey here in WY. Next day we saw 4 more. So 16 bears on a weekend. Needless to say we found a different turkey spot...

I have seen 7 twice during spring season but 3 of those each time were cubs. 5 adults 1 evening in fall season. But I've also gone half of the season and saw 0, so guess it all evens out šŸ˜€

Adult bears 4, if you count cub's, than 7. Seeing bears has never been a problem when I've been hunting them, it's the killing them i struggle with.

Northern Alberta sitting in a tree stand I had 7 small, medium and large black bears drift in and out, and then way after sunset a sow with three tiny cubs came in. Mom was seriously nervous and on multiple occasions she ā€œwoofedā€ to send her cubs up adjacent trees. I was super thankful that none of them chose my tree to climb up off the ground.

Most for me in one day was 6 not including cubs. I see a lot of bears every year but usually only 1 maybe 2 on a good day.

what your personal record for number of sightings in a day is?

don't have exact numbers as I don't write such down,,but

On a spring hunt in BC I saw 81 bears in 5 days - of course some likely were seen on multiple days

down here in NC - come Mid June, we ride the refuge and surrounding wheat fields of an early morning or evening - nothing to see 10+ bears each outing

Bumped into my most on a hike with the family looking for shed antlers and making our way to a river to fish. 3 small cubs, 2 cubs that appeared to be last years and the biggish sow. The cubs all took a tree and the sow just looked at us like ā€œmove it along doofusā€.819EA7E7-9537-4DA4-AB90-49DA85A5E2F8.jpeg

Have to tell this story. One evening I arrived late to a narrow camp site between two lakes; it was almost twilight. I hung my food, set up the tent and crawled into my sleeping bag. Just before drifting off, I thought of my pepper spray that had long before expired. I decided to test it to see if it still had pressure, so stuck it outside the tent and gave it a short burst. Just then, a little breeze came through, blowing the pepper spray into my face! Cough, cough, burning eye pain. How stupid am I? Finally I fell asleep. First light, here comes the bear, sniffing all around the tent. Nothing but a thin sheet of nylon between me and him. I held that bear spray in my hand, thinking "go away bear." Eventually he did. Note to self: pepper spray smells good to a bear once it's out of the can.

5 bears in one day. Never seen any at night. Night time they have come in and stole hanging meat.

I saw 9 in one evening last fall. It was the third week of September up high in the WA Cascades. The berries and even the Hemlock was gone. They would show up, look around and then leave within minutes. "End of the Season".

Iā€™ve only seen 8 in my whole life unless you count the 2 cubs. Excluding grizz.

Set a personal record of laying eyes on 16 different bears last night..... in Montana. Hunting Alaska and Canada I have seen as many a 10 in a day, but last night was epic. Assuming it was a combination of a great spot with very limited access, and the first nice day after some cruddy weather. Literally couldn't glass for more than 20 minutes without turning up another bear. Granted there are some cubs and small bears in our tally, but talk about an action packed night. Hoping to get back out at least one more time before the clock runs out. I am having as much or more fun now, than I did with a tag in my pocket.

Would be curious to hear what your personal record for number of sightings in a day is?
I never counted any I've seen much. Started hunting bears in Montana while I was in the service. Something about up there, I seem to have always seen bears! I've heard about Oregons great bear hunting and haven't a clue anymore from who. They are terribly misguided! Oregon didn't hold a candle to Montana looking for bears! Visiting an Aunt in Trinity Center, Calif years ago, the night around the station, Trinity Center was a fire station, was full of bears! I've been all over the country and I have never seen bears like we used to see in Montana, not even in Alaska.

Back