What is the maximum point-blank range of the "lowly" .22 Long Rifle Rimfire?

Ahem

tenor.gif

The dude just discovered the internet and apparently hasn't figured out how to separate his inner-monolog from written word . I love the innocence of it and his bold interpretation of what we should value.
Thank you for feeling that I'm so bold and innocent! But I discovered the Internet in 2004. I bought my first computer in 2005. Up until then, I was using a Smith Corona daisywheel typewriter.

I didn't come here to argue or make enemies. We all have our favorite guns, loads, game and our own outdoors ways. If a plastic Savage bolt gun following a treeing walker hound is your bag, then God bless it. My solution to this whole rimfire varmint issue is to simply buy a CZ 457 American in .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire! My conclusion is the ol' .22 just seems to be an old-fashioned ballistics dud for long-range (anything past the 50 yard line from the end zone on a football field) small critters. .17 HMR ammo is not quite as cheap as .22, but we can't have everything. Think "full-choke shotgun range" when thinking "twenty-two" rimfire.

Anyway, I will say no more about guns and hunting on this thread. This is one long train that seems to have jumped the track at high speed. Just please be safe, legal, proper and have fun in all your outdoor pursuits.

Last edited:
Hardest part of figuring this out is finding the BC of the bullet your using. I did this a couple years ago with my 22 mag. Found the BC somewhere on the internet for a 40gr bullet. If I remember right it's .094. Ran it MPBR at a 4" target and got 151yds. At 151 yds it's 2.1" low and at 75 yds it's 2" high. Idea was to figure out how to best use it as a calling gun for coyote's. Deal that got me to do this was seeing only the head of a coyote in a tall grass field. Guessed the head would give me a 3" or maybe 4" target. Now that I have it, I've never used it but I have shot the distances on range against what my chronograph told me and it was right on the money! Looked at my 22 mag in a whole new light after doing it.

Now don't know but suspect that the BC of the 40gr 22LR round might also be .094 also. What screwed me up was after I did this I went out to stock up on 22 Mag ammo and about all I could find was the 34gr loads. Right now I have about five hundred rounds of the 40 gr stuff and don't plink a lot with it!

BTW. The velocity according to my chronograph at 151 yds is 1191 fps. MV was 2000 fps.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back