What is a step up from a Browning Xbolt?

MNElkNut

I have had a Browning Xbolt in 7mm-08 on order for 10 months now from the local gun shop. It is still on backorder and I am starting to think I need a contingency plan. So what is a step up from a Browning Xbolt Hunter? I prefer wood/blued, but am not set on it. I dont want to change calibers as I already have 2 7mm-08s. i have no interest in a Tikka due to the fact they do not have a bolt release lever or 3 position safety. Any thoughts? I don't want to get much over that $1,000 price range. Maybe to $1,300. Is it even doable without spending more than that?

I stepped up from a Browning A-Bolt to a Kimber Montana and I was happy with it. Of course both of mine were stainless/synthetic but I think the Kimber can be had in wood/blued.

I just bought my son a Christenson Arms Mesa and I think it is probably a slight step up from the Kimber Montana. I'm not sure if they make that in a wood/blued or not.

Sako would be a step up but might break your budget.

EDIT - Looks like you are out of luck with Kimber and Christenson Arms with a wood/blued 7mm-08. I couldn't find one.

Are you just losing patience or do you really need this rifle? With having 2 rifles in the same caliber I was just wondering. IMO I really like the xbolt and would wait if I was in your shoes.

Last edited:
I stepped up from a Browning A-Bolt to a Kimber Montana and I was happy with it. Of course both of mine were stainless/synthetic but I think the Kimber can be had in wood/blued.

I just bought my son a Christenson Arms Mesa and I think it is probably a slight step up from the Kimber Montana. I'm not sure if they make that in a wood/blued or not.

Sako would be a step up but might break your budget.

EDIT - Looks like you are out of luck with Kimber and Christenson Arms with a wood/blued 7mm-08. I couldn't find one.
I have had a Browning Xbolt in 7mm-08 on order for 10 months now from the local gun shop. It is still on backorder and I am starting to think I need a contingency plan. So what is a step up from a Browning Xbolt Hunter? I prefer wood/blued, but am not set on it. I dont want to change calibers as I already have 2 7mm-08s. i have no interest in a Tikka due to the fact they do not have a bolt release lever or 3 position safety. Any thoughts? I don't want to get much over that $1,000 price range. Maybe to $1,300. Is it even doable without spending more than that?
If your not dead set on the 7, Brownings 6.5PRC, 6.8 Western, and the 300 PRC, may satisfy your needs. Would love to hear how the 7 performs, if you wait.

I waited 11 months for my X Bolt Hell’s Canyon Long Range. I have no regrets. Hang in there. The rifle will be all the sweeter for the waiting.

IMO Christensen arms, sako, fierce and maybe kimber are the immediate next tier. Montana rifle company might also qualify. I’m not sure but think that Winchester, Kimber and Montana Rifle co offer three position crf rifles in the 7-08.

Sako 85 is my next 7-08. They have a version of crf and a Bolt release that enables safe round extraction. Also, they have that heirloom quality that is very cool.

Thanks for some great replies. I have two for my two boys but need one for me. That is the “need”. I would really like to stay with the 7mm-08 so they are all the same and I love the other two so much. I will look into the Kimber. The Sako 85 breaks the bank. Wish they still made the A7. I could live with synthetic. Just kinda like the old school looks of wood. Keep up the great comments I appreciate them all!

My buddy and I both had bad experiences with the X-Bolt. Neither rifle, one .300 Win Mag and one 28 Nosler, would shoot even after being returned to Browning (1.5" - 2" or more with many different loads and bullet weights). I have been looking at the Bergara rifles, although I really don't need another one. Sounds like most folks are very happy with their X-Bolts. I expect we just got a couple bad ones. I wouldn't trade my old A-Bolt .270 Win for anything.

I would wait, I loved my xbolt in SS once I lightened the trigger.

How about a second hand SAKO 75?
They usually have some really nice wood.
I wouldn't like to guess how many rounds I have put through mine but it's still as accurate now as it was 20 years ago, but mine is SS

Cheers

Richard

Cheers

Richard

Back