Yeti GOBOX Collection

What I learned about OYOA

Oak

Expert
As most of you know, Randy invited me to tag along while they filmed his Wyoming pronghorn hunt this last weekend. Being an antelope junkie, I wasn't about the chance for one more hunt this year, and I also looked forward to seeing what goes into the production of an episode of OYOA. Let me tell you, it was an eye-opening experience. I thought I would pass along some of the things I learned this week.

1. The safety of everyone involved in the production, the ethics of fair chase hunting, and the proper retrieval and care of the meat are the three most important things to Randy.

2. The cameramen provided by the production company are the best in the business. They are the most professional, hard-working, and fun to be around guys you will find.

3. An incredible amount of hard work and patience goes into filming a hunting show of this quality. In order to get absolutely the best quality video, sometimes the biggest animals seen are not harvested.

4. Many very neat features are planned for the OYOA website which will further assist those who are planning an On Your Own hunt. Some may be unveiled as early as December.

5. A majority of potential sponsors still do not believe that this type of hunting show is any different than those showing guided hunting on private property, and do not believe that the average hunter cares about this distinction.

6. This quality of TV is expensive to produce and distribute. I believe that if sponsors don't hear that this type of programming is in demand, Randy will most likely pull the plug in a few years, as any business person would do.

Those who have spent very much time watching outdoor programing on the Outdoor Channel or Versus know that there are dozens of sponsors in the industry who are paying to air the hundreds of hunting shows currently being produced. If you go to the Partners page of this website, you see eleven companies who have stepped up to support the On Your Own hunting idea.

If you believe that the story of the OYO hunter is one that is worth telling, I encourage you to do two things. One, let the Outdoor Channel and those companies who are currently supporting the show know that you appreciate them stepping up and taking a risk with this new concept in hunting television. Two, if you see that your favorite hunting gear company, gun or bow manufacturer, or hunting clothing company is not currently sponsoring OYOA, email them and let them know that you would like to see them do more to promote the idea of On Your Own hunting. Unless they are made aware that there is a difference between this show and just about every other show out there, OYOA will be just another good idea that fades into history due to apathy.

Randy did not ask me to post this, and in fact does not know that I am doing it. I just got so frustrated this weekend hearing story after story about potential sponsors who just will not step up because they see little difference between this show and all the others out there. After seeing the hard work that goes into producing a quality episode about something as simple as a two day antelope hunt, I would like to see those working behind the scenes to bring us this neat new concept at least get a chance to make an impression.

Thanks for the post Oak!

5. A majority of potential sponsors still do not believe that this type of hunting show is any different than those showing guided hunting on private property, and do not believe that the average hunter cares about this distinction.

It is hard to believe that sponsors can't see the difference just by watching the shows! Nothing against some of the now rock star hunters on different programs but hunting on exclusive property just isn't affordable to most hunters! If you can't see the difference then you must not be an OYO type hunter. Thanks for drawing attention to this issue and providing us suggestions for proactive solutions.

Good post Oak. I believe in the OYOA concept and have sent my comments more than once to the OC as well as the sponsors. I've been a Nikon guy in the past and really do like their products but because of Leupold's commitment to OYOA, I've given them my business going forward. It may not be much, a scope here and rangefinder there, but I hope they appreciate the business because they earned it.

Oak...great thoughts and thanks for sharing with all of us...it is something we all need to do what we can. Ive already sent email to outdoor channel simply because I enjoy OYO and wanted them to know it...they dont know what viewers like unless they hear from us. I also mentioned I wish they would devote a few more times/slots for OYO.
It is easy to drop a quick email to outdoor channel and sponsors...everyone take a minute and 'just do it'.
As far as sponsors...heck many that dont 'get it' are probably ones that dont market to an OYO type...but its obvious with BF's new sponsors that quality companies that market to real hunters are starting to see the difference and target our type.

Last edited:
Good points all Oak. As far as well expressed advocation, it don't get much better IMO.

alabama hunter

i am new to the forum i think the show is great that someone did a show like this i do alot of management land hunting in alabama cant afford to get in high price hunting clubs. thanks to oyoa for the show

Oak thanks for the post. I couln't have said it better myself. It is a lot of work. I've run into a few hunters here in my hometown who know about the show and I've asked them what they think. Some don't care for it or think it's just ok. They think it's stupid to only hunt land that is public and not hunt private land. Randy has a great bull tag for Montana but is going to film it on public. This is the niche he is trying to create in the show market. The only way he can survive is to be different and hope that the sponsors will step up. Your totally right about letting sponsors and the OC know of our desire to see more of this type of hunting. To be honest I think the people that I've talked too here locally are just jealous. Sure there are some great hunters around here but Randy certainly isn't trying to pound his chest. The fact that these are being filmed on public land is truely amazing.
I wish that more people could see how much work goes into one of these shows. Sometimes you can't just take off and hunt how you might normally. You have to coordinate with the camera guys as to what and where your going so that they can get ahead to catch it real time. That's certainly different than the way you would normally hunt. That's why some of these "good hunters" just won't or can't do the show. Nothing against them they just aren't willing to possibly give up a shot to make sure everything is perfect with the camera guy.

Anyway it sounds like had the "full experience" even in the few days you were there. Thanks for the post and hopefully people will take it to heart, what you recommended.

Oak,

This is spot on. I recently augmented my Leopold spotting scope with new Leopold binoculars. One reason...OYOA and their (Leopold's) support of the concept. One thing that has somewhat frustrated me is the unwillingness of OYO guys like us to proudly talk about why we hunt on our own. The difference between what Randy is doing and what the super hosts of the others shows are doing is answering the question of why the show exists. OYOA exists to show the hunt and all that goes into it. All the other shows exist to show someone killing a large animal. Until the 90% who know that difference are willing to spend their money with companies who get it, OYOA will be challenged. As noted in this string, we can all help by taking 5 minutes to drop heart-felt notes like Oak suggests to the sponsors who ought to be listening.

Thanks for stepping up Oak.

I finally caught an episode of OYOA while I'm here in Wyoming. I don't own a tv so the only place I watch it is at my parents house or at a friend's. So my opinion doesn't really matter much but...

IMHO I think its just another hunting show. Nothing bad, but nothing great. Most people I've talked to feel the same way.

I'm not sure that as a DIY hunter I feel the desire to have the DIY story told. There is no one out there I feel needs to see the "way hunting should be". Guys that go guided will still go guided, non hunters will still think the same of us whether they see the show or not. And I am fine with that. I suppose its targeted for DIY hunters, but theres not many I know that watch any hunting shows as it is. One of my friends who watches a lot of hunting shows mentioned how OYOA really preaches public lands. He says maybe they should also preach that many of these tags are hard to draw, takes years to draw etc. He mentioned he would like to see some hunts in OTC areas in CO for elk, and OTC for deer in idaho etc.

What I don't like about some hunting shows is guys will be using products because they are sponsored by them when you damn well know if they were not sponsored by them they wouldn't be using them. Thats not saying the products are bad, hell they are great, but they are not the best out there. And for me as a DIY hunter I want the best.

Passing on the biggest buck/bull/etc or the one you want because of bad camera light? Thats a tough one there. I think about that one a lot when I'm reading these blogs.

I'll watch the show again, even tell people about hunttalk.com but thats as far as I would go IMHO. But alas, I'm probably not in the targeted market for OYOA anyhow...

I believe all the hard work that goes into the show mentioned by Oak and Lawnboy, hunting has become a job for BigFin and that is a heavy weight to carry.

Like anything in life, the rewards for hard work are always worth it and I have no doubt in my mind OYOA will be here many years down the road. Or as long as BigFin feels like doing it.

I like OYOA and will continue to watch. I think it is different and fresh than some of the other shows on right now. I would like to see a little more of the planning involved for the hunt and a little less "know one to cook and clean for you" but I realize it is a lot to pack into a 30min show. Keep up the good work.

there are a lot more OYO type hunters out there than most people (sponsors) realize. Although (as ground out) in many previous forums...the definition seems to be a 'moving target'...lets all stop finding ways to discredit a hunters version of OYO hunting and embrace the ideas and enjoyment that fellow hunters bring and their own ideas of what their OYO hunt is. Its pretty obvious to all when that line has 'definately' been crossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back