Caribou Gear Tarp

What hunts are better today than 10 years ago?

This chart of moose harvest shows Wyoming harvest going from around 1200 animals in 2000 to about

400 animals in 2015 . View attachment 185561
Ok. I guess this is speaking to the fact that sometimes you have to reduce harvest to improve overall quality?

I'm not sure exactly what WY has done to manage their moose herd. But, I'm sure that it's worked/working. This is based on what I see in the field year 'round.

the aforementioned is still true--plus the last count/estimate of thinhorn sheep ( dall, stone, fannin) looked good, with possibly as many as 25000. The Porcupine caribou herd is doing very well. The one thing we have noticed is the grizzly is moving further north and breeding with the polar, so we have a few more grolars. Other population increases are Elk, Wood Bison, and Wolf.

I am trying to contact someone in the U.S. that will arrange to take some of our wolfs for your "reintroduction" program. Can anyone provide names and contact information in the states of Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and Colorado please
Idaho is full we already got screwed by Canada and there wolves 😂 traded for bighorn sheep I was told that one hurts

This chart of moose harvest shows Wyoming harvest going from around 1200 animals in 2000 to about

400 animals in 2015 . View attachment 185561
Colorado moose harvest trending up>> wait til 20 years after wolf reintroduction and watch the downward trend. Most likely in 20 years you will loose a bunch of OTC elk tags and have dramatic season changes etc.

I feel like it fluctuates. I have been told for example that the deer hunting in Northern Wisconsin has improved from ten years ago due to the uptick in logging the last few years. The area I hunt in Montana does elk, I know was very tough hunting the the early 90s, seems to have peeked be in the mid 2010s, and now seems to be trending downward again. I would bet it will improve again.

Of the dozen or so central and southern ID elk units I’ve stomped around, all are better than they were in 2011. IMO.

However, muleys in some of those units seem to have declined a bit, as the elk began to dominate.

Back