Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What do you mix with your Deer/Elk Sausage?

Wilderness_56587

Wondering what you guys like to blend with your sausage for Deer/Elk. I have usually done pork trimmings at 20% but have read on here recently that people use Beef Tallow in hamburger and it will last in the freezer longer then pork. Wondering if the same can be said for sausage?

I don't do sausage with game. I grind in pork or beef fat chunks from the grocery store. I just call a day or two ahead. A couple smaller stores in there area also just save some back during hunting season.

We raise pigs also now, so that helps too.

We typically get a pork butt and grind it in. The ratio varies based on application. I am hoping to try and get some trimmings from a local butcher this year to keep more venison flavor.

If I'm just grinding up for burger or taco mix, I use pork. I like the way it cooks better than beef tallow. Doesn't pool up the same way in the pan.

For brats/snack sticks/summer sausage/etc. I use beef tallow. It has the better texture for the sticks, and melts better for the brats when cooked.

Just what I've found, YMMV

If I'm just grinding up for burger or taco mix, I use pork. I like the way it cooks better than beef tallow. Doesn't pool up the same way in the pan.

For brats/snack sticks/summer sausage/etc. I use beef tallow. It has the better texture for the sticks, and melts better for the brats when cooked.

Just what I've found, YMMV
With the beef tallow in the brauts what percentage do you do?

I have a butcher that saves me ribeye fat trimmings as he is cutting them. I’ll grind that into burger at 15% for some and the rest I’ll leave 100% venison. The 15% ribeye fat will be for hamburger patties only and the 100% venison will be used in ground meat dishes like taco meat and meat sauce for spaghetti, just add some olive oil while browning the meat.

For sausage I always use 15-30% pork fat, depending on what sausage I’m making.

Full pork shoulder ground separate and then add to venison by weight to get an 80/20 mix venison to pork.

60/40 with added pork butt> then salt/pepper/coriander/brown sugar/water> stuff in natural hog casings

I used to use either fatty pork trimming or pork butt. This year I didnt add anything.
I have gotten used to eating 100% ground whitetail. I plan to do the same this year.
I didnt make any venson sausage this year as I had made a lot of pork sausage. I use the 100 % venison it for burgers , tacos , meat pies , chili and sauces. I cut a lot of steaks out of a deer as well. I was really skeptical that it would work out with adding fat but to my surprise I really enjoy the taste of venison.

Last year’s elk I tried something different,no mixing anything with ground meat and I thought it was great. You can get burgers and meat balls made without them falling apart. Pro tip when you put burgers on grill just flip them no smashing on them. Add cheese and enjoy 😉

Nothing. No need. We do lots of burger between, elk, deer, antelope. Just grind and use. I like the idea of some ground cheese to help a burger patty stay together, have to try that, sort of a cheeseburger!

For sausage, it depends on what type, but usually don't use much beef suet except for burger.

For most sausage I go 50% wild, 35% pork butt, and 15% pork fat.

For jerky/snack sticks I'll go with half/half beef/pork suet.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back