PEAX Equipment

What do you love about Mule Deer Hunting?

Probably the country they live in and the fact that a big mule deer is so rare anymore. I will say it's more enjoyable to hunt them when they are in remote country rather than around ag fields. When they are in remote country they are much more unpredictable and that makes them more enjoyable to hunt in my opinion.

Im a Midwest guy who sits in a tree all fall, playing on my phone, waiting for waiting for a whitetail to wander by...or not.

However, this year I’m heading out west for my first hunt in the mountains, and I cant wait. I applied for New Mexico Elk, and when I don’t draw that, the plan is Colorado OTC Elk. For the past year I’ve planned on hunting elk. They’re big, they’re delicious, they’re majestic, and besides, I have deer at home.

But... over the past month or so, Mule Deer have really started to grow on me. I don’t know what it is, but I’m starting to get a pretty serious itch to go chase them soon. I’m still gonna do Elk this year, because if I’m driving 1500 Miles, I’d like the opportunity to come back with as much meat as possible - but I’m thinking long and hard about a Mule Deer Hunt in the next couple years.

So - what do you enjoy about chasing them? What do you dislike? How does it compare to elk? And, if you could only make one western bunt a year - how would you divide the your trips between the two?

Thanks!
-What I like most is spending time in alpine terrain. At this point in my life I have very little interest in hunting them on transitional range or sage country, but that could change. Breaks terrain would be a distant second for me. I fell in love with mountaineering before I fell in love with mule deer, so getting up high in steep stuff is what it's about for me.
-I dislike nothing about hunting mule deer in the mountains. Not one thing.
-How it compares to elk is going to vary GREATLY by state and area within said state. Where I live I can hunt elk basically the same way I hunt mule deer, so I do. Elk just weigh more. For me a bull is easier to find than a 170+ mule deer in general areas and seasons.
-How I would divide time depends on where I was going. Coming from out of state I would rather sell out for one species with my time, and alternate years on species.

This was the first buck I killed on a backpack hunt. The day before was -25 wind chill, bivied on a ridge with 2 gallons of frozen water. The evening of this day my partner killed a nice buck as well. We split up and met back at the trailhead about midnight. Drove all night back to town, stopping probably a dozen times to take turns driving and keep from falling asleep. We pulled in at daylight, I showered, and made it to my college classes by 8am. Such great memories.

38036526274_abf8b29d32_b.jpg

Until last year I had never shot a mulie. Odd since, I am from MT, I know.

Last year I was able to harvest 3 mulie bucks (1 MT, 1 MT CWD, 1 ID), and a few mulie does.

What made me start chasing them was their iconic status as a western big game animal. Like the antelope, when you think West, these are animals that come to mind. The land they inhabit has a draw that when you get to the top of the nearest hill, what you look at first is the surround beauty, then the buck. Wide, tall, dark antlers on a grey head with a blackened nose is simply striking. Long stalks are the norm in a cat and mouse game. You don't have the bugling choruses of the elk, but I think the chase makes up for that.

I'm in Idaho, it's has to be the terrain and experiences. It sounds like you might be caught up between chasing elk and deer in the near future and how to chose. You will really enjoy both, they are very similar and very different. After you go after each one a couple times, I'm sure a favorite to will emerge and your first choice if you could. To me in general, going for either elk or deer, the Rocky Mountains is place to be and experience.

Terrain, experience, hunting styles, and mule deer are just flat badass. A big muley buck will always have a soft spot in my heart. There's nothing quite them when a guy finally turns up a true mature muley buck doing his thing.

This is an awesome thread. I really enjoyed reading everybody’s responses. Headed to Arizona next year for my first mulie hunt. (OTC tag)

Sometimes the landscape can be kind of wienish. Of course, I tend to be a baby killer when it comes to bucks and bulls. Maybe that's why :)

Nebraska%20Mulie%202006%20A.JPG

There's something awesome about watching the morning light work across a western landscape and make a muley buck's coat glow.

Attachments

• IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 213
Sure as hell ain't the taste! :D I know there are good tasting Mulies out there but I haven't had one in awhile...still love huntin' em though!

I like the typical terrain I hunt and just getting out away from the house. I would say getting away from work but I don't work anymore. I have been hunting some of the same areas for years in California and Idaho because I like hunting there. I don't kill large bucks very often but that is OK I really enjoy hunting those areas. We normally get something so it keeps us going back.

I agree, this is a great thread!
I’m an east coaster but have been hunting out west pretty hard for almost 20 seasons.
I originally went to hunt elk. On my second year , with an elk tag in my hand I stumbled upon two really big mules above 10,000. The image of those two bucks, high in a Colorado Wilderness is etched in my memory forever.
I’ve killed some elk and plenty of antelope and even a few pretty good muley. There isn’t anything like a bugling elk but he’s not the same animal the other eleven months of the year....that big muley buck he’s awesome without saying anything, and he’s awesome anytime you are lucky enough to see him.

I can’t wait to be out there again... looking for him.

I like the various landscapes that I can hunt them in, here in Idaho we can go from the high country in the steepest nastiest country down to the sagebrush flats I just think they are an awesome animal to hunt. I sure as hell don't hunt them for the taste.

You see lots of deer when hunting muleys, except in CA, making it exciting because you never know when you'll see a giant. im not trying to poopoo on elk hunting because they share several similarities but to me there's something more intriguing about a big muley than an elk, it's probably because I grew up hunting them and it's usually easier to get a good muley tag than a good elk tag

I really dont even know where to start .
For me its being in the woods as the out doors is my happy place .
Its the long drive halfway across the country with a friend thats more like family which is always a journey in and of itself .
Its the crisp cold air and the smell of the wall tent after being in storage all year long .
Its the first time you see the first Muley for the year and you cant help but think there's gotta be bucks around .
Its seeing the first buck early on a hunting trip and letting him go for a bigger one and knowing you did the right thing .
Its the way these seemingly dumb critters are ten times smarter then some of your coworkers .lol.
Its the feeling of having one in the crosshairs and getting the fever just like it was the first time .
Its the way all the guys from hunting camp are so excited to see you roll in with one on your backs or in the truck.
Its the way everyone wants to help with it to ensure that they get help when its their turn to kill one .
Its the way the bounty tastes after you get home and share with friends and family .
Its the primal feeling a man gets when he reassures himself he could feed his family if the SHTF.
I love hunting and everything it stands for I've had fun on hunting trips and never even got one for myself I just as excited when we bring a new guy and he gets one .

For me,another whitetail hunter from Ohio:
It's the way a 200+ lb. animal can seemingly appear out of nowhere after you've spent an hour glassing and endless sage flat.
It's watching the grasslands come to life in the early morning.
It's passing time watching eagles, badgers, coyotes, and prairie dogs instead of playing on my phone.
It's the incredibly welcoming nature of people in Wyoming where hunting seems to be treated more as a celebration than a competition.
But most importantly, it's realizing that the vastness of their range provides some promise that years after my hunting days are over, some other lucky hunter will be experiencing the same things.

Back