PEAX Equipment

What do look for??

fez

Let's say your looking for an above average sized buck say high 70's+. What qualities do you look for from 800 yards+? A guy can't stalk every buck that he sees to get closer and size then up within a reasonable distance. What qualities does everyone look for before deciding that he needs a closer look?

Thanks

At sunlight, I look for (in this order) prongs noticeably higher than the ears, wide spread, good length, and curl. I'm not looking for a score, just a "look" that I like. At about mid-morning, when my right index finger get twitchy, I look for the closest goat with a black patch on his face.

At sunlight, I look for (in this order) prongs noticeably higher than the ears, wide spread, good length, and curl. I'm not looking for a score, just a "look" that I like. At about mid-morning, when my right index finger get twitchy, I look for the closest goat with a black patch on his face.

Haha. That's hilarious because its true for so many of us.

Good prongs minimum 5". 14" to 15" tall, and good mass above and below the prong. Look at enough antelope and all these will be evident, I hope. Very few bucks without a 5" prong unless they are unusually tall like 16" or better will score in the high 70's. I don't compare things like length of ears, eye width etc when judging length or mass, I've just seen enough to know with pretty good certainty a buck that has all these features. A buck with good mass though tend to appear to have a lot of black above their head. Good luck..

What's the best way to tell mass from that distance? any key tips you focus on? From kill pics that are posted online it's easier to see the mass but from distance I'm struggling

Thanks again

I look for horns approaching twice the height of the ears. Its not really the truth most times, but it gives a idea of scale.

What's the best way to tell mass from that distance? any key tips you focus on? From kill pics that are posted online it's easier to see the mass but from distance I'm struggling

Thanks again
Check out the thread (the big one that never happened) that's very good mass for reference!

Thanks for all your guys help. I finally pulled the trigger friday afternoon. I just cant figure out how to post pics.

I let one walk that was really hard to let go. I think I made the right decision on letting him walk. It was a lot of fun and learned a lot about them

Thanks again

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back