Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What do I need to know about Moose

Ben Long

OK. I've taken my share of elk and deer, but I drew my first moose tag this year for the Pioneers in Montana. What do I need to know? I've been around moose a lot, seen a lot of them, had some closer run-ins with rutting bulls and mad mama moose. I've packed out maybe 20 elk on my back, so I know the basics. But those of you who are more experienced hunting elk, what do I need to know?

I couldn’t gut mine by myself without opening the stomach up and taking almost all of it out. It was just too much bulk to move by myself. I couldn’t budge her over without removing the guts. Even with a portable 500lb winch.

Amazon sells rolls of rope you can use for recovery if near a road. If you don’t use them they are returnable.

It’s significantly more than a elk in every aspect. I was absolutely exhausted by the time she was in the truck.

You'll probably one shoot one I your life so make it enjoyable. I'd suggest using as much as the carcass as possible.

Figure out a way to cool it as quickly as possible. I was with a friend in 2019 on his Idaho moose hunt he drew. He killed the bull about an hour or so before dark. We gutted it and and packed it with snow. We also disjointed the hips to try and really open it up covering the hind quarters with snow to keep it cool. We came back next morning to quarter and pack out. The meat deep inside the hind quarters was still a little warm after a cold night and even being covered in snow. It took 3 of us a total of 9 trips to get it out through 18" deep snow. All of the meat was good when all was said and done.

Figure out a way to cool it as quickly as possible. I was with a friend in 2019 on his Idaho moose hunt he drew. He killed the bull about an hour or so before dark. We gutted it and and packed it with snow. We also disjointed the hips to try and really open it up covering the hind quarters with snow to keep it cool. We came back next morning to quarter and pack out. The meat deep inside the hind quarters was still a little warm after a cold night and even being covered in snow. It took 3 of us a total of 9 trips to get it out through 18" deep snow. All of the meat was good when all was said and done.
Never cover a dead animal with snow, it will cool better without it.

If you can take care of an elk, and aren't too warn out from a lifetime of packing elk... Then you'll be fine with the hard stuff.
Biggest shock to me was how far those drooling bulls start moving in late Sept.
Good luck to you, I'm sure it'll be a good time!

Congrats on the tag! I have been pretty lucky to have drawn four Shiras bull tags and I have been in on a couple other hunts. I agree that the date range suggested by @Sask hunter is the best time to hunt since the peak of the rut is likely going to fall in that period. I got three of my bulls in the first week of October. I think the next best time is in late November after the leaves have fallen and snow is on the ground. A big, dark bull really stands out on a snow covered hillside. During the late season, the ones I have watched don’t seem to travel far either.

If you can summer scout, you could catch a bull during the first week or two of season in the same general area you found him earlier. After the rut hits, he could be (and probably will be) miles away.

As far as packing it out, I don’t think a Shiras bull is much different than a big bull elk. The head and cape can be quite a load though.

What are you going to use for method of take? I used a recurve on my first, and then a 300 WM, and then 300 RUMs for the next two. You don’t really need a big cartridge - my brother got his with the S&W 629 I had sold him to support the girl habit I had at the time. I think the main thing is to have a strongly constructed bullet that will penetrate.

Good luck on the hunt and keep us posted on your preparation and scouting.

Not all Shiras are the same size. Here's my wife's bull next to two other really nice bulls. The taxidermist had to put my wife's on an Alaskan form to get it to fit as it was so much bigger in the body than the others.

We got lucky and it happened to die close to a road. We also had met two great guys from SLC that were hunting elk nearby and helped us get it processed. We went through two Havalon blades just cutting through the thick hair and hide down it's shoulders.

Bottom line is I'd be very wary about even hunting far from a road if you get one of those warm September days in the 80's. I think we would've lost meat and the hide if we were on our own in the backcountry.

They're huge animals!

20160118_142928.jpg

Congrats on the tag!

Not all Shiras are the same size. Here's my wife's bull next to two other really nice bulls. The taxidermist had to put my wife's on an Alaskan form to get it to fit as it was so much bigger in the body than the others.

We got lucky and it happened to die close to a road. We also had met two great guys from SLC that were hunting elk nearby and helped us get it processed. We went through two Havalon blades just cutting through the thick hair and hide down it's shoulders.

Bottom line is I'd be very wary about even hunting far from a road if you get one of those warm September days in the 80's. I think we would've lost meat and the hide if we were on our own in the backcountry.

They're huge animals!

View attachment 222262

Congrats on the tag!
That is not your average moose.

Congrats on the tag. Moose are not that much different than elk. Go gutless and bring a tarp. I've bagged a couple by myself. And packed a bunch. If your dumb and half in shape they are 6 big ass loads plus the rack. I we've packed one a couple miles but most have been inside a mile or so. The hard part is getting the pack on your back after that just put your head down and go. Train up this summer packing sand bags.

Get a Moose Magnet and learn how to call. They are pretty easy to call in, but don't come running like an elk. It could take a day or more.

Good luck! Moose hunting is fun. I've got a lot of moose hunting days lined up this fall myself. Can't wait!

It can seem like there are none around, then during the rut they show up. A friend killed one and it was significantly bigger than an elk to pack out. Then I helped another guy drag one down a clearcut and it was easy. They do drop antlers earlier - I helped a guy with one he'd shot in November in Montana, and it's antlers fell off when it hit the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back