Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What can we learn from Cuba?

I knew when I saw the title of this thread that it would go south in a hurry. I typed a response and then deleted it. All I will I say is that I’ve been to Cuba. I’ve been to lots of other “shitty” places in Latin and Central American, Southeast Asia, etc. Yes, by American standards their living conditions are often deplorable. But what I’ll also say is that some of the most authentic, genuine, humble and loving people I’ve ever met live in those places, and we could all learn a lot from their ability to focus on what they do have vs. what they don’t. When you have nothing, you quickly and easily prioritize your somethings. Happy Friday folks.

Last edited:
It is true that Fidel made many decisions I don’t agree with. I am not a fanboy of Fidel. 😂 I was attempting to state facts I have found. I guess I should say he was fanatical about conservation of these reefs. He put them before his people. I didn’t state that I agreed. I asked, “What should we do?”

Not saying you were! I think we should be glad the masses stick to the trails and boardwalks while a select few of us know how to find the real beauty that exists in this country. We have a whole lot of it, and a whole lot to be thankful for!

I knew when I saw the title of this thread that it would go south in a hurry. I typed a response and then deleted it. All I will I say is that I’ve been to Cuba. I’ve been to lots of other “shitty” places in Latin and Central American, Southeast Asia, etc. Yes, by American standards their living conditions are often deplorable. But what I’ll also say is that some of the most authentic, genuine, humble and loving people I’ve ever met live in those places, and we could all learn a lot from their ability to focus on what they do have vs. what they don’t. When you have nothing, you quickly and easily prioritize your somethings. Happy Friday folks.
No question about that. The people are absolutely awesome, but the government they have to deal with certainly isn’t and is what keeps them down and prevents its own people from any future betterment. It’s tragic really.

This currently happens a lot. The Wave down in I believe Arizona, beautiful red rock features. Restricted hiking by lottery. River permits for rafting. The list of rivers is endless that require applying. Hunting tags are restricted for these reasons. I think there is a lot of that done but it has to be balanced for sure.

"what can we learn from Cuba in regards to how they managed their coral reefs ? "

IMHO, nothing that can not be "learned" from several ( many ) other countries. Excellent, maybe even better reefs, but a different type of government.

We were fortunate enough to dive and enjoy many reefs, some in my humble opinion better than Cuba's. Belize, Fiji, Australia ( especially up by Cairns ), Solomon Islands. Like Wildabeast we did visit Cuba and again IMHO, that one plus ( managing the reef ) does not make up for all the negatives inflicted upon the people in that Country, especially when it can be argued that other countries who have not inflicted the pain Cuba has inflicted upon their citizens, did manage their reefs, as well or better than Cuba.

Closer to home, especially for me, I encourage everyone to see, experience and enjoy the Grand Canyon. I recommend a 2 to 4 day mule ride from the rim to the floor and stay a couple of days at the Phantom Ranch. I also recommend families take a two week float trip down the river through the canyon and camp each night on the bank of the river . BUT, I strongly agree with all the rules and regulations associated in doing either of these trips, so that the sheer beauty of the canyon can be preserved and enjoyed by future generations.

I think both can be accomplished.

How about we allow the masses to access the outside world, and then prosecute the s%^t out of those who defile it or burn it?

I grew up on a ranch and learned to look for cow pies before I stepped. I never imagined that I would need those skills to dodge diapers and feces on some remote BLM land.

IMG_1442.JPG

Honestly, I just don’t buy the video. When I was there in 2018, the slick of filth in the water all around the Cuban coast was unlike anything I have ever seen. Utterly disgusting is how I would sum it up. It’s as if their sewage plants just pump the effluent raw around the coast, literally…

I’m not doubting your experience, but I’ve watched many different documentaries on the reef by reliable sources. I’m sure where you were was filthy. I wouldn’t post it unless i had checked sources. From what I understand the only thing to gain from the videos I’ve watched discussed is protecting the reefs further.

I am not really sure what the answers are. Most of you in the west have it much worse, but since covid started the "cabin country" of the northwoods (Wisconsin, Minnesota) has also exploded with people. What were once family cottages where people visited once in a while are now becoming massive houses on lakes with fancy yards, developed shorelines, etc. People are staying year round from the cities because they can work from home. Now it seems folks are buying places to turn them into Air BnB's...

Lakes with giant oaks and white pines are cut down to "improve our shoreline", surface shitting everywhere, littering, fireworks during extreme dry periods of time. You would think this stuff would be common sense.

Covid restrictions and Instagram have created the perfect storm for masses to go outdoors

Looks like we did Cuba one better.
I believe commercial fishing has only been banned since the early 2000s.

If anyone want to look at where coral occurs around the planet: https://allencoralatlas.org/atlas/#3.11/-0.4091/162.9699

Interesting to see there is ZERO around the eastern side of the Pacific rim.

The trick seems to be to keep your people too poor and hungry to buy scuba gear...or food. Maybe this will also save our public lands

Back