what camera to buy

duckhunt

I had a cheap digital camera that I used to keep in my pack but was unhappy with the quality of pictures. Now I use my phone but again the pictures arent what I would like. Any suggestions on a digital camera that wont empty my bank account?

I've got a canon s100 that I love. Very compact, easily fits in a chest pocket so it is always available, and it's image quality is good enough that I haven't used my $2000 nikon SLr since I'd bought it.

I had a cheap digital camera that I used to keep in my pack but was unhappy with the quality of pictures. Now I use my phone but again the pictures arent what I would like. Any suggestions on a digital camera that wont empty my bank account?

What specifically don't you like about the images? Can't zoom in enough? Images too blurry or too grainy? Basically, what does quality mean to you? How old is the camera and phone your have used? A little more info about your dislikes and the photos you wish to make will make it for us to provide decent advice.

Cameras are like tools, if your trying to break up a sidewalk with a tack hammer you'll be pounding away for a long time.

The camera I had was a cheap 50 dollar unit I grabbed at walmart. I got what I paid for on that deal. Lesson learned. My phone is a galaxy s4. I dont like the clarity. Sometimes it takes good pics and sometimes not. Seams like the lighting conditions have to be just right for good pics.

The options are nearly endless without knowing your exact needs, but I'd suggest sticking with Canon, Nikon, or Sony. You'll also want as many manual controls as you can get. Another item to add to your camera bag that really ups your photo game is a reflector, which are cheap and lightweight, but add soooo much to your photos.

I've got a canon s100 that I love. Very compact, easily fits in a chest pocket so it is always available, and it's image quality is good enough that I haven't used my $2000 nikon SLr since I'd bought it.

This^

Had my S100 for 2-3 years now I guess? Certainly not the capabilities of my 50d and 3 lens's, but I'm long done hauling that around, it stays at work. For 99% of my hunting / fishing / scenic pics, and great video, it does an awesome job.

The Sony A5100 or A6000 take good pictures and video, they have interchangeable lenses. The interchangeable lens maybe a plus or minus depending on how you use your camera. If you just want a camera for hero shots after the hunt, landscapes, pics at home, then the 16-50 lens that often comes with it might be a good choice. If you want more reach then you'll need another lens. If you want to take pics of live critters you may want a mega-zoom camera like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 or one of the Canon PowerShot cameras. Looking at a website like cnet.com might help.
http://www.cnet.com/topics/cameras/best-digital-cameras/megazoom/
Also the user reviews on sites like Amazon or Adorama may help you decide. Look at what type of pics you like to take to decide how much zoom you'll need; look at the physical size of the camera to decide if you'll always have it with you or something you leave in the truck.

Thanks for the replies. Im going to read some reviews and then make a decision. Im putting this on the top of my Christmas list.

I've been disappointed with the image quality of digital cameras I've bought also. Grainy or hazy looking photos. Can you guys post some pics taken with the cameras you've recommended along with what camera they were taken with?

Thanks.

How are you supporting the camera? Do you use both hands and rest your arms on something where possible? Have you considered a small tripod like the gorilla-pods (?).

There are a lot of good camera deals out there right now. Personally if you are looking for a really good camera that will take quality shots consider the Nikon D3300. Right now you can find it with a 2 lens kit for $500 which is 1/2 price. You really can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon but I prefer Nikon. Good luck!

Leaving the camera in auto can also cause these problems. If you don't spend some time playing with the camera and learning what it can and can not do, it won't matter if you buy a $50 or a $5000 model you won't be happy with the outcome.

Something as simple as placing a cheap point and shoot camera on a tripod and then selecting the night portrait feature will greatly improve your low light hero shot by better exposing the background and then providing a pop of flash just before the shutter closes to freeze the subject in the frame.

The ability to change how the camera meters the scene can also be important when taking outdoor photos. You see this when shooting with a bright background and a back lit subject. You can either use the normal metering and fill flash in hopes of lighting your subject properly or use spot metering and expose the frame for your subject which will cause your background to be overly bright but if you aren't looking for much detail for the background this is fine. Or you can combine flash with spot metering to hopefully achieve the exposure you want.

If grainy or noisy is the issue then the camera is selecting too high of an iso because it thinks that's what you want. I often pre select the iso I want the camera to use or limit the max range the camera can select when it is allowed to select iso.

There are three basic functions that need to be controlled, iso, aperture, and shutter speed. Learning to take control of one or two of these at a time will greatly improve your photos with even the cheapest camera. Throw in metering and you have a lot of what it takes to make an image.

There are a few quick and dirty outdoor shooting guides out there that I can think of, Nat Geo has a good one. There is an easy to read series of books from Scott Kelby that are very useful as well, though not outdoor specific. PM me for more specifics on the books.

I use an Olympus Micro 4/3rds E-PM2 which is an almost SLR but is small enough for a very small bag or dry case 4"x4"x6" and takes excellent pictures. The current version would be the Olympus OM-D series. I spent around $500 for 2 lens and quickly sold one on ebay for $100 or so.

The mirrorless camera options are really appealing to me as the are super user friendly and compact so they always get brought along. All the major camera manufacturers make them and they usually hover around $500. Throw in a Pedco Ultrapod 2 mini tripod and you will always be able to get good shots in the field.

Last edited:
Canon S100 images as requested

Nothing fancy here - few random shots from this year unretouched other than I knocked them down to 72dpi @ 800 pix wide for web. Yell if any questions or if you want the full res versions.
s100bass.jpg

s100deer.jpg

s100rocks.jpg

s100brookethermos.jpg

Last edited:

Looks like the s100 has been replaced by the s120 now??

Nothing fancy here - few random shots from this year unretouched other than I knocked them down to 72dpi @ 800 pix wide for web. Yell if any questions or if you want the full res versions.
s100bass.jpg

s100deer.jpg

s100rocks.jpg

s100brookethermos.jpg

02Fish,

How's that s100 capabilities in low light conditions when lots of trophy shots are taken?

My elk pics from this year are almost down right terrible as they had to be lightened so much to see me and the elk that the beautiful sky in the background turned completely white, instead of the brilliant oranges, purples, etc etc.

Best advice I can give is shoot mtmiller a PM. Let him know what you're hoping to accomplish and he'll be able to give you some ideas

Here are the cameras I have in my stable. If anybody has any of these or knows anything about them any tips specific to these models would be much appreciated.

Fuji Finepix XP70- I bought this one at SAMs mainly because it's waterproof so I can use it on my kayak trips and fishing kayak bass tournaments where it is catch, photo, release. I also like it because it is small, light and packable.

Nikon Coolpix L330- My wife bought this one for me because I wanted something to photograph wildlife on hunting trips. I think it has 20-25x zoom and 20-ish mp.

Nikon Coolpix P500- This one is hers and has similar zoom and no to my Nikon listed above.

Canon- My wife just bought this one. I dot know what model of is right now but it's going to have similar features to the Nikon. It all has some sort of lense with it.

iPhone 6- This is my primary camera. LOL

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back