Caribou Gear

what camera to buy

Nikon Coolpix P500- This one is hers and has similar zoom and no to my Nikon listed above.

I'm a big fan of this one. Played around with it a bunch. There is a chance some video shot with one of these made it into an episode of Fresh Tracks.

iPhone 6- This is my primary camera. LOL

"The best camera is the one that's with you."

Beyond convenience, this does fine. Takes nice photos in bright light, but I find mine has some issues with focus and image quality in lower light. Built-in HDR looks nice and not as overprocessed as some.

02Fish,

How's that s100 capabilities in low light conditions when lots of trophy shots are taken?

My elk pics from this year are almost down right terrible as they had to be lightened so much to see me and the elk that the beautiful sky in the background turned completely white, instead of the brilliant oranges, purples, etc etc.

Flash is your friend. Small camera with a small lens - no way it can play with a large fast SLR lens. Price you pay for being able to put it your pocket - which I am fine with.

Yes - looks like the new version is the S120

I'm a big fan of this one. Played around with it a bunch. There is a chance some video shot with one of these made it into an episode of Fresh Tracks.

"The best camera is the one that's with you."

Beyond convenience, this does fine. Takes nice photos in bright light, but I find mine has some issues with focus and image quality in lower light. Built-in HDR looks nice and not as overprocessed as some.

Thanks for the reply.

I use my iPhone mostly now but still keep my Panasonic TS3 in my hip belt pocket all the time. Waterproof with a Leica lens. The may be up to TS5 now but they are GREAT little cameras.

Duckhunt,

When we were camera shopping; I went so far as to take our own SD memory card to Target and Best Buy, then took dozens of photos with several different cameras (short video clips too). We took the SD card home, reviewed those photos and video on our home computer, then selected the camera in our price range that provided the best photos/video. The interior of the Target store was well lit and Best Buy had a darker atmosphere, so we took photos in both environments using the same model of cameras when possible.

We purchased a Nikon Coolpix L840, you can get them for ~$170 most days if you watch the ads/sales. It's a bit larger than the S100, but I like that it uses AA batteries and I don't have to worry about finding an outlet in the wilderness to charge the "custom brick battery pack" (that comes with most cameras now days). My GPS and headlamp use AA batteries too, so I can standardize on spare batteries and mix/match as needed if I get in a jam. I use Lithium AA batteries (instead of regular AA) and they last for thousands of photos (your memory card will fill up before your batteries go dead). It has good optical and digital zoom capabilities; the picture and video quality are impressive for a $170.

It has multiple timer options for dead animal selfies if you're solo; I go so far as to use the timer when taking super long range photos because the pressure of my finger can sometimes make the picture blurry while using maximum zoom. Like any camera, it helps to keep the lens clean and use a tripod when shooting quality video or super long range photos. We did a Boundary Waters canoe trip in June; I shared my photos/video with another family in our group, they purchased a L840 the following month. Not that $170 is cheap, but I'm not afraid to use it around water or in snow/fog/rain knowing that it didn't cost me 500 or a thousand bucks.

Best of luck to you in your camera search - MDJ

My current favorite is a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-Z40 point and shoot. My Nikon DSLR rarely leaves the house anymore. The camera is loaded with features including wifi connectivity and it has a 30x zoom Leica lens. It's not cheap but well worth the money. With all the days I spend hiking and hunting in the PNW, I go thru cameras relatively quickly -- anything over a year is a bonus. So far, so good with this one.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back