What Caliber

Big Slick

My 30-06 Remington 700 has some putting the barrel. My man Van is making it a 6.5-284. Anyone shooting this caliber? How do you like it?

Andy

My 30-06 Remington 700 has some putting the barrel. My man Van is making it a 6.5-284. Anyone shooting this caliber? How do you like it?

Andy
I love mine. I got it 6/23 and by this June I’ll have to rebarrel it already, been shooting it a lot!

I agree with the above poster and say to get at least 1:8. Also, buy good brass.

What reamer are you using?

Last edited:
6.5-284 seems like an uncommon choice that will make it very hard to find ammo if ever. I think there are a lot more common rounds to consider instead such as 280 AI, 25'06, 270, or even just 30'06. And, if you want to go off the 30'06 variations, there are a lot of other choices.

In any case, why are you considering 6.5-284 in a long action?

6.5-284 seems like an uncommon choice that will make it very hard to find ammo if ever. I think there are a lot more common rounds to consider instead such as 280 AI, 25'06, 270, or even just 30'06. And, if you want to go off the 30'06 variations, there are a lot of other choices.

Itd be sweet if it was chambered right (long throat as @MThuntr suggested.

6.5-284 is cool - its too bad it and 284 never really took off. Not much different than a 6.5 prc in performance.

Itd be sweet if it was chambered right (long throat as @MThuntr suggested.

6.5-284 is cool - its too bad it and 284 never really took off. Not much different than a 6.5 prc in performance.
It was a popular long range cartridge and still has a good following.

I had extra freebore added to mine specifically for the 156 Berger and it hammers. Out of a 27” barrel with N565 I’m pushing it easily at 3010 which it about .5gr below pressure. I was about 20fps faster with rl26 (1.7gr less) but decided on 565 for consistency.

Make sure it's at least a 1:8 twist and fire away. It'll do everything you'll need it to. You could have your smith cut the throat a bit long for heavier bullets.
This seems like good advice...cool round Andy, nice way to repurpose.

..and what brockel said.

Couple hundred pieces of brass solves that problem for the life of a barrel.

Doesn't fit in a standard short action with appropriate bullets, throating.

Go for it it's a fun cartridge to have, we have 2 that get used.... the 6.5prc before it was cool!! 140s just under 2900fps 24in barrels.

Reloading will be my best bet. The builder will be making a load that will be a shooter. I know it’s an odd round to go with since the 6.5 PRC has hit the market, I’m not doing the flavor of the month. The 6.5x284 has always intrigued me. I have a 7Rem Mag and that’s why I didn’t go 280AI.
Lots of people shoot the 6.5mm CALIBER.
Not as many shoot the 6.5-284 CARTRIDGE.

I still run across used Savage rifles chambered in 6.5-284.

The new things, sometimes are just that. New, but not necessarily better.

Take the 7PRC for instance.
I can get behind the case design!
But i usually shoot 168gr and lighter bullets in my 7mms.
The PRC was designed for 180gr bullets. So i would need a special reamer to shorten the throat.

@jimh406,
In this day and age, i can't think of a good reason NOT to reload.

Example.

$68 for a box of 50 Federal 45 Colt ammo. The cheap blue box. Was the least expensive ammo the shop had for it.
Oh, and like my 45-70, there are 2-3 pressure levels, depending upon the gun being loaded for.
Factory ammo has to go to the lowest pressure levels.

So, Friday i picked components, ok, bullets.
$35 for 100 Sierra 300gr.
I already have H110 powder that i use in my 357 Magnum already.
$38 per pound. 7,000gr to a pound. 45Colt uses 20.1gr per round. Less for the 357 Mag.
I already have large pistol primers.
These see use in my (2) 45ACP pistols.
Right now they are going for $78 per 1,000.
And i reuse the casings. The more times i reload the cases, the less per shot it costs in overall expenditure.
Oh, and the reloading press and dies, and various other tools, are just that. Tools.
And with my background as a mechanic and machinist, i deduct those on my taxes.

So, lets see.
$68 ÷ 50= $1.36 per round for factory ammo.

Reload...
$35÷100=35¢ per round bullet.
$38÷7,000= .00542 X 20.1=10.9¢ per round for powder.
$78÷1,000=.078¢ per round for a primer.
So. .35+.11+.08= 57¢ per round for me to reload 45 Colt at a higher velocity level than i could buy factory ammo.

I save even more than that on rifle ammo (especially my Weatherby Magnums) with "premium" bullets.

Last edited:
If I was going to adjust feed rails, I think I would go 6.5 prc. Pretty close in capacity. And I think there is more brass being produced these days for the newer cartridge.

@jimh406,
In this day and age, i can't think of a good reason NOT to reload.
Of course, I didn't say people shouldn't reload. ;)

On the other hand, there are a couple of good reasons right now ... "no/low availability of large rifle and large rifle magnum primers" :D

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back