Yeti GOBOX Collection

What are you currently reading?

Glad this thread popped back up. I am about done with a book and this thread always offers some solid choices.

Currently reading

Salmon and His People:
Fish & Fishing in Nez Perce Culture.
by Dan Landeen and Alan Pinkham
1999, Confluence Press - Lewiston, Idaho

Secret Commandos by John L. Plaster. Autobiography of a soldier who was on a recon team inserted into Laos and Cambodia during the Viet Nam War. They were on their own for the most part : no dog tags, or insignia. Three Americans, and a few Montagnards per team. Inserted and picked up by chopper. Nearly always surrounded by hundreds of NVA.

images

"Reveille In Washington, 1860-1865" by Margaret Leech. Copyrighted in 1940 so might not be easy to find a copy (reprinted by Time-Life 1980). An interesting and very in depth look into the politics of Civil War. A different perspective from Doris Kearns Goodwin's recent best seller, "Team of Rivals, The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln." Leech doesn't think Lincoln was such a genius.

Here's a great read: "Today I Baled the Hay to Feed the Sheep the Coyote Eat" written and illustrated by Bill Stockton. Stockton was a sheep rancher (born into it at Grass Range, MT) who was also highly educated - and WWII vet if I remember correctly. His philosophy of life and death on the ranch is laced with emotion and humor. The writing is absolutely amazing for a lowly sheepherder. Anyone who has experienced that country and the people who live there ... or used to live there ... should read this book.

I am reading The Irishman, the book the the movie was based on. Pretty tastefull for a hit man book.

Halfway through Gateway To Empire, fifth in the six book series The Winning of America series by Allan W. Eckert.

Attachments

• 20211009_131058.jpg
    20211009_131058.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
The Feather Thief by Kurt Wallace Johnson

Super interesting story I'd never heard of before. Museums robbed of topical bird skins to supply the Classic English Salmon Fly tying market. Unfortunately the actual book stinks, just not well written. 2 stars.

Last edited:
Back