What are some decent mid-tier and top-tier Vortex rifle scopes?

aman

I am a new hunter in state of WA. I just bought a Tikka T3x 270 Win and I'd like to attach a nice rifle scope to it. I am very confused with all the options offered.

I've read that a 4x16 magnification would be the best.

What are some mid-tier and top tier Vortex scopes I should look at?

aman, can’t advise you on a Vortex scope because I use all Leupold scopes on my rifles. One thing I can tell you is a solid 3-9 scope will always cover your needs. I’ve found, for me, that I end up adjusting a higher scope down to 9 or 10 because it magnifys the movement too much for my liking.

Having lived in WA for the past 26 years I hope you’re on the East side, lord knows I wish I was!!

Last edited:
Vortex I wouldn't go lower than the Viper series.

If you have a cabelas nearby, go look in their bargain cave for the Instinct scopes they will surely have. Make sure they say instinct and meopta somewhere on them. These scopes are phenomenal, better than the Razors. They're made by a company called Meopta for Cabelas. You won't see a huge difference between the two in the store, but trust me on this - get them outside in first/last light and prepare to be blown away.

aman, can’t advise you on a Vortex scope because I use all Leupold scopes on my rifles. One thing I can tell you is a solid 3-9 scope will always cover your needs. I’ve found, for me, that I end up adjusting a higher scope down to 9 or 10 because it magnifys the movement too much for my liking.

Having lived in WA for the past 26 years I hope you’re on the East side, lord knows I wish I was!!

I am in Seattle :eek:

What Leupold scope would you recommend? I've heard really good things about Vortex warranty and best bang for buck, that's why I wanted to get a Vortex. But I'd be open to other ideas.

Razor HD is their top end, I wouldn't touch anything less than a PST.

If you have a cabelas nearby, go look in their bargain cave for the Instinct scopes they will surely have. Make sure they say instinct and meopta somewhere on them. These scopes are phenomenal, better than the Razors. They're made by a company called Meopta for Cabelas. You won't see a huge difference between the two in the store, but trust me on this - get them outside in first/last light and prepare to be blown away.

What do you guys think of the Vortex Viper HS Scope?

I have a viper and I really like it. I've heard tremendous things about Leupold's warranty but never had to use it. I have several Leupold scopes as well VX2 and VX3i I would consider mid-range, VX5HD and VX6HD would be top of the line.

I am in Seattle :eek:

What Leupold scope would you recommend? I've heard really good things about Vortex warranty and best bang for buck, that's why I wanted to get a Vortex. But I'd be open to other ideas.

What do you guys think of the Vortex Viper HS Scope?

The Viper HS scopes aren’t terrible if they’re found on sale. If you’re looking for a best bang for your buck, at least give those bargain cave instinct scopes a try.

Buy a Leupold, and buy it from Schmaltz. You won't be disappointed. Best prices around--especially if he's blowing stuff out.

It just occurred to me that every rifle in my house has a Leupold scope on it. I have no idea how there warranty service is as I've NEVER had to send one in. They are in Portland, Or. so I would imagine on the slim chance you needed something they would be easier to work with.

I do own some Vortex binocs and they are a decent quality for what I paid for them. Just backups now but no complaints.

I use the Leupold VX-3 mostly in 2.5-8x36, just a preference thing. But I'd take a hard look at the 3.5-10x40. I do have a couple of VX -2 3-9x40's if the others are a bit too much price wise. Look for some sales and you can usually shave $75 bucks off the price of a VX3i.

Leupold scopes are well built hunting scopes that are lighter than most other scopes of similar quality. I'd recommend a Vx3 at a minimum.

Vortex makes scopes that fill a wider set of roles; hunting, target shooting, tactical. Vortex has 4 tiers of scope quality (from lowest to highest); crossfire, diamondback, viper, and razor. I prefer the Viper or Razor scopes but the Diamondbacks are a good entry level scope, the crossfire is just a cheap scope that is suited to a novice shooter that hasn't got much cash. Currently I own two Vortex scopes and two Leupolds (along with many other brands over the years).

Another inexpensive scope that has good glass and would be a solid hunting optic is the Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 series scopes.

As for magnification, that's more a personal preference. Most hunters simply prefer some range of variable scope based on the distances that they expect to shoot and the type of environment that they will be hunting in. My current hunting scope is a Vortex Viper PST GenII 3-15x44mm, it's a bit heavier than the equivalent Leupold offering (VX-5HD 3-15x44mm) but it has more of the features that I like and the glass is better as far as I'm concerned. I like to take my animals at no more than 300 yards but I also like to do target shooting out to 1000 yards from time to time so the range of magnification is just right for the way I like to use the rifle.

Razor HD is their top end, I wouldn't touch anything less than a PST.

I prefer the Viper or Razor scopes but the Diamondbacks are a good entry level scope, the crossfire is just a cheap scope that is suited to a novice shooter that hasn't got much cash. Currently I own two Vortex scopes and two Leupolds (along with many other brands over the years).

Another inexpensive scope that has good glass and would be a solid hunting optic is the Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 series scopes.

This topic is as controversial as Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy. Some guys are sold on fixed scoped while many will only run a variable. I have owned both and have had trouble with both. I personally prefer a variable in atleast a 3-9, but it depends on the situation.

As for Vortex or Leupold, I agree with Rammac. The Diamondback can be a great entry level scope and it all depends on the money you want to spend. I have hammered my Diamondback over the last couple of years and it performs well. I have run a number of scopes through the years. Currently own a Vortex Diamondback, Vortex Viper, Leupold VX-3i and an older high end Leupold (can't remember the exact model right now) as well as a Leupold Gold Ring Spotting Scope. I have used the Leupold warranty a couple of times and the Vortex warranty as well. Both companies are easy to work with, but Vortex is better at communicating and has had a faster turnaround time, in my experience (could have been the time that I sent them in and anyone else could have a different opinion).

Point is, you won't go wrong with either company. There seem to be more Leupold fans on Hunttalk and a hand full of Vortext haters (MTMuley, love you man, but you always come out in opposition of Vortex. I would love to know the story some day). Remember that researching the product is half the fun of the purchasing experience. Its a descent amount of cash you are going to spend, so make sure you are happy. I would recommend to avoid the comments "buy X and thank me later". If someone can't provide more information than they shouldn't hold any credit.

Finally, it's amazing what you can find if you shop around. I have found some awesome deals from the Cabelas Bargain Cave to Ebay to online retailers like Predator. Cameralandny sponsors a couple of other hunting forums and they are great to work with. I have called them several times to discuss optic quality and warranty of different brands.

Most of my rifles wear Vortex scopes. Of those that i have unfortunately none are the Viper line.
The Crossfire II's have done me quite well.
Don't waste your money on a Diamondback.
For midgrade go HST or PST. Razors at the top end.

Having said that, you can't go much wrong with a Leupold. Have heard good things about them since i was a kid.

I'm saving up for a Sightron myself. Not many people use them here, other countries love them.

I didn't see what type of hunting you were planning. How far do you expect your shots to be?
For example if your planning on no more than 100 yards a Razor would be way overkill.

I have no experience with vortex. Now let me tell you why
15+ years ago I was in my early teens I worked for my grandfather on the farm and had a Savage 110 package gun in 3006. The cheep scope was always needing a click one way or the other.
I decided to spend my entire 2 week pay check to buy the best scope I could. Everyone in my family told me to buy a Leupold. So I bought a shiny new vxII and mounted it up with no money for ammo to sight it in. I eventually did zero it and to the best of my recollection I didn't have to adjust it ever again. Somewhere in my early 20s I decided I wanted a 300win mag A bolt I took the vxII and mounted it to the 300 and zeroed it to 200yd. A few years back I had to adjust it after having a base come loose but other than that I just take it out and shoot it.
I have collected a few other rifles and a few other scopes over the years but I'm extremely confident in that combo and I always grab that rifle to hunt with.
I have no idea how the warranty works but that's kind of the point. I know I'll pull it out and it will be on for the next hunt. What's that worth?

I have a Diamondback HP on a Howa .270. Took less than a box of shells to sight in. First shot hunting with it is a miss on an antelope buck under 200 yards. Get it home and I notice the thing is rattling. Vortex warranty will cover repairing it, but in the meantime I have to mount another scope and get it sighted in dead nuts in the middle of hunting season. Went back to my old Redfield scope and ended up filling my buck tag with that.

Read somewhere (after buying that Vortex) that it probably isn't good that so many people know how great their VIP warranty is. Really a good point that I never thought of. Less than a box of shells of .270Win and one of the lens came loose inside the scope? Pretty sad.

I'd be hard-pressed to buy/trust another Vortex scope.

I've had Leupold and Vortex optics and both have served me well. I prefer the "tactical" style scopes because I like to range my target and dial for the shot. For that reason, turret tracking, glass quality, and reticles are just as important as durability and build quality. For my style of hunting there's a few offerings from both companies. My advice is pick a scope that fits your style and choose based on what features would help you be successful and fits your budget and don't get hung up on who made it.

Back