What am I missing?

ashersdad

Need help from the pros. I am trying to get ready for my dall/moose hunt in September. I have my gear list approx. 80% complete. Working out with a 65lb pack 5-6 times a week. Trying to shoot every week. Got the flights and logistics taken care of.

So what am I missing? Just want to be as prepared as possible. I would love to hear from anyone that may have some suggestions. Thanks.

I would also love to see any pictures from past sheep or moose hunts. I'm so excited it seems that is all I can think about these days.

If you're really itching, you could go a week eating whatever food you're planning on eating on the hunt. Just to make sure it's going to be giving you enough energy, and there's nothing in there that's going to tear you up.

If any gear is new, it might not be a bad idea to give it a shakedown cruise in the hills somewhere near home. Good luck on the hunt!! A hunt like that is a bit of a pipedream for me, so I'd probably be sleepless the 6 mos leading up to it for excitement!

I am starting the planning for a hunt like this for 2012 right now doing a little research looking at flights and a few guys that offer the self guided packages where they supply the tents and all the camping gear you just bring your personal gear and gun.
Id love to hear what you think of how your hunt turns out and any advice you can offer.
Good luck cant wait to hear the story adn see the pics.

I've done the moose half

Alaska is the dream of many and I have chased moose as you will.
I floated so I may not be much help, but, a bag full of seasoning mixes(salts, pepper, cajun,blackened, etc) is nice for the second or third day of steaks.
After a couple of days all I wanted was to hunt, not cook. I gravitated to candy which I don't usually eat. Take a REALLY long book like Anna Karenina or something in case it rains, you don't wanna have to read the same 150 page book a couple times.

Though not really a 'hunting' book, Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is a good read and it is long.

Well luck is always good to have....so good luck Cory!!!!

Wish I could help you out but this is going to be my first fall chasing swamp donkeys too......

I have heard from people I respect in judging moose that 8" between the eyes is good for field judging.

Take lots of pics too!!!

Who are you hunting with? Where are you going? Sheep and moose on the same hunt, must be a couple weeks long? More details. :)

I only have a little advice...First, ask Lawnboy, he has been on a few of these adventures. Second, make sure you can get a boat to the swamp donkey. Third, make sure you can get a boat to the swamp donkey.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back