What 300mag out of the box would you suggest?

I like Ruger 77 Mk II's quiet a bit. The last one I bought, once I had it bedded and some trigger work done, shot way better than one would expect. They been making their own barrels for some time now. Ok you have to fiddle with it a little, just about every rifle will require that to some extent. Also, I like the scope mounting on the Rugers. Its just one of the best going. My other favorite rifle is the M-70 Winchester.

300 weatherby mag

i like the 300 weatherby mag. those 400.00 japanese vanguards are tack drivers with the right scope.My father has one in 30.06 and loves it.

If I were to pick an out of the box 300 Mag for all hunting I'd look seriously at the Rem Mtn Rifle in SS and laminate. Easy on the eyes and not so heavy...Moosie does pretty good with his. :D I wanna be like Moosie!!!!

Second choice would be a Ruger MKII in SS/Lam. I have one in .338 Win Mag and have had no problems. It'll shoot 3 shots in about 1.5" or a bit less at 100yd which is more than enough for me. Just a bit heavier than the above though.

Man...I'm in love with my 300 WSM. Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. Full claw extractor, nice wood stock, Slim fore end, and she shoots sweet. Always the best looking gun in camp and everyone wants to hold it. 180's for Elk, 150's for Deer. Topped with a Zeiss Scope and dual dovetail mounts. (Never has to be re-zeroed.) Comes in around 7.5 pounds and is soft on the shoulder when you pull the trigger.

Anyone wanting to send me a birthday gift can do so in the new 270wsm .

Cheers
Roadtrip.

I must agree with roadtrip, I got my 300 wsm mod 70 shadow. I have not had any problems with it at all. I was reading a spec load mag and see that a 180 wsm is shooting just as fast and hitting as hard as a 180 mag now. I like it because it is light and doesnt bite! Oh ya, couldnt resist the price either.

Danr, we gonna shoot some yote's when I get down there????

30 cal

Hill,
I do a lot of reloading and have had alot of fun with my new 300WSM.
I shoot a Browning Custom Stalker and have all the confidence I need to put down any game. I live in South Dakoda so I like longer shots. I have no problem shooting milk jugs at 400 yds.
300WSM with a 165gr Swift Scricco (sp) bullet and there isn't an Elk save with in 500 yds.
My daughter shoots a 270WSM and there's nothing wrong with that Caliber either.

Good luck,
Meat

Have a Fibermark Stainless 300 wby mag. Shoots well but as others have mentioned, recoil is not pleasant and Wby premium ammo is expensive with their most economical Hornady Spire Points going for about $35 /box and Nosler or Barnes at $50. Shot a friends Sako 75 300 WSM last week. Very impressed. Half inch clusters with Accubonds or Trophy Bonded, both 180 gr.
The new monte carlo stocked Vanguard seems to be a real value. I have one ordered in stainless 270 WSM but wouldn't hesitate to get one in 300WSM, Win. Mag., or Wby Mag if I didn't already have it. New stock, strong smooth Howa made action, fluted bolt, adjustable trigger, inch and a half accuracy guarantee...for around 400 (matte) or just over 500 (stainless)...& have some money left over to buy good glass.

noharleyyet

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back