whacked a bear

lilbiggun

Spent the past 2 weeks in Tok. for the first 8 days or so we didnt see a single bear or tracks. We scouted a new area to see if we could find something. Seen a bear on the hill, double checked to make sure nop cubs were present. asked my buddy the yardage and got ready.

The first shot was at 206yards through the neck.Didnt hit the spine but it cut his windpipe in half. it didnt show any sign of being hit (I thought I missed)and it slowly walked up hill. At 210yards it stopped, faced directly at us and stood up. Shot him right through the chest. still no sign of being hit. It dropped to all 4's and started running through the woods out of sight. we waited and then inspected the hill for blood, hair or anything, couldnt find a drop. started walking around trying to find a trail and there he was about 30 yards away piled up against a tree.

I was using my rem 7600 in 35whelen with 225gr partitions. those bullets did some major damage, I dont know if I would use those things on a moose or not. alot of meat damage.

I'll send some picks to elkhunter and hopefully he will post them.

Way to go on the bear, I am looking forward to seein ght pics. You have more patience then me. After 8 days with no sign I would have been stressing big time.

Lilbiggun

Tis about time. I'm real happy for you. Any idea who you are going to have mount it for you? ;)

Thanks guys.

MT, trust me we were scratching our heads over this one. this camp has been going on for 13years and we have never seen a spring like this one. It was frusterating to say the least. We only seen one bear the whole 2 weeks and hes soon gonna be in my living room :D
were thinking next year to move the bear camp up on the taylor highway and give that a chance for griz.

Ovis, I'm sure I can find a taxidermist who I trust with bears ;) . we are going life size (hell, its free, why not?)

we havent measured the bear yet (its still frozen) but I figure its gonna go around 6'2" or so, Tam says more like 6'5". the skull was a hair under 18". weight? well, we didnt have a scale with us but some guys there who have been hunting bears all there lives say it would go about 350lbs or so. dont know but it took 5 of us to move it off the hill.

LBG !!! Kudos MAN !!! Can't wait to See the Pictures. Good luck finding a Taxidermist that will mount it for Free , I'm guessing she'll want at least some " LOVIN' " in return ;)

Congrats again bud !!

Back