Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

"Western Montana hunters pledge to forego sheds"

As someone who collects 3 to $4000 worth of sheads a year. This problem is only going to get worse until they are made illegal to sell just like with other animal parts. I will catch a lot of shit for saying this but it needs to be illegal to sell sheds and it needs done asap.
I see more destructive behavior than any other time of year. I would happily give up the ability to sell mine to stop the greed fueled destruction. A ohv ticket is paid for by two elk sheds, an animal harassment ticket? 4 elk sheds.
(so where is the deterrent?)
Some say we need shed seasons.
So lets create another law that is basically un enforceable because of limited officers/resources over vast areas. With a private property clauses that make it so you have to have proof someone was on public lands when picking up sheds. Almost impossible
This new law will have another laughable penalty.(a couple sheds pay for it)
Then those who are already willing to break the law have no competition from law abiding citizens and pick up the best spots.
Also the new law won't apply to Native Americans who do just as much of the damage in my area.
Shed seasons are a pointless waste of resources that hurt the responsible shed hunters.
Sportsmen groups need to get together and make it illegal to sell deer elk antlers shed or dead.

Last edited:
One of my buddies had his taxidermy shop in Colorado pillaged by a couple idiots selling antlers. They ripped all the mounts off the walls and cut off the antlers, they stole/ destroyed over 500k worth of finished and in progress mounts.

The antler market is terrible for the resource, while not as bad it certainly reeks of market hunting.

Last edited:
Good on them for going through the effort and I wholeheartedly agre we as sporsman should self regulate.
I just dont see the guys who would pledge and follow through as the offenders who are causing the problems. Those guys will still be out on tracked atv's chasing elk across the skyline.
Its like giving a speeding ticket to a drug smuggler, Thats the cost of doing business for those guys.

Last edited:
Doesn't Colorado have a shed season? I thought they implemented one last year.
Colorado does, you are correct.

One of my buddies had his taxidermy shop in Colorado pillaged by a couple idiots selling antlers. They ripped all the mounts off the walls and cut off the antlers, they stole/ destroyed over 100k worth of finished and in progress mounts.

The antler market is terrible for the resource, while not as bad it certainly reeks of market hunting.
That really sucks. I had 30-40 deer antlers and half a dozen elk antlers stolen out of my yard a year ago. I don’t know what made me more pissed, someone coming in to my yard or all the miles of boot leather I wore off looking for them and some asshole just walks off with them.

Colorado does, you are correct.

I don't think shed seasons do much other than keep the honest guys out, but I believe they do keep a few people out of the woods and that is easier on the animals.

That really sucks. I had 30-40 deer antlers and half a dozen elk antlers stolen out of my yard a year ago. I don’t know what made me more pissed, someone coming in to my yard or all the miles of boot leather I wore off looking for them and some asshole just walks off with them.

Right... he had a 400inch elk in his shop, police finally busted the couple and "recovered the antlers," the media who reported on the story failed to mention that most of them had already been chopped up into pieces to make them easier to sell.

Here is the article:

I reported three cases last year and got one conviction to the tune of a ticket.
Both of the shed hunting cases were never prosecuted. Including this guy who was chasing bullson his atv two weeks before they were dropping.
Two witnesses a video tape confrontation while obviously off road, with a confession, the ohv sticker in the video. During a closed shed season in NV with old white sheds in his possession.
AND Crickets!
20180324_203232.jpg20180324_203412.jpg20180324_203816.jpg

The problem is if all the honest law abiding people are at home and their is nowhere near enough leo's to police you end up with the wild west during the brown gold rush.
I would rather have honest people out being respectful of the animals and watching for illegal activities because people are less likely to break the law when they know others are around.

Right... he had a 400inch elk in his shop, police finally busted the couple and "recovered the antlers," the media who reported on the story failed to mention that most of them had already been chopped up into pieces to make them easier to sell.

Here is the article:
I bet he made a lot of very tuff phone calls that day.

Here is the article:
I have no words...That’s rediculous.
Antlerradar, that really chaps my sack too.

Off road ATV track spotted on a Montana WMA during the opening day. 4 of us got skunked that day.102396

Did the RMEF social media folks miss the Missoulian article?

Attachments

• image000000 (2).jpg
    image000000 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
All the while every social media platform is constantly promoting shed hunting. I love RMEF and will always be a member but that post was upsetting to see as well. I agree with above, ban all forms of sale of any antlers. Then grant a pass to any person willing to close line that ATV rider and hog tie him for the grizzlies. OK maybe that is too far?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back