Western Maps

300wby

Stupid newbie question here guys... I've been watching Randy's old OYOA shows on youtube and see him pouring over and studying various maps of hunting areas where he's going to be hunting at and I'm wondering what. 1. kinds of maps are those? I think some are of the national forests and some show land ownership boundaries such as BLM to private and 2. where can one look to purchase maps like that.

I know in one particular episode, Randy mentions the national mapping service (assuming USGS) as a great tool and I've gone to their website (USGS) and tried to decipher thru all the various map options they have. Some of the maps they offer are very outdated (which may or may not be relevant depending where you hunt) so I just don't know what to look for.

I know probably the easiest thing is to buy the onXmap chip for the GPS but figure it would also be good to have paper copies to take with on upcoming western hunts.

Appreciate any and all help you could give this newbie to western hunting.

thanks.

I use paper maps for the "big picture" and to plan out where to go. Then I use my GPS to find my exact location and for any close detailed mapping.

The BLM offices in the various states will have surface ownership maps which show private land, national forests, BLM land, Parks, and State trust land. These can be downloaded for free and printed, or you can call and buy them for $4.

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/BLM_Programs/geographical_sciences/gis/100kMapIndex.html

Here is a link for Colorado, which should give you a better idea.

There are also several other companies that sell maps. I like the national geographic maps.

OnX used to sell paper maps before their rebranding. It might be worth a call to them to see if they sold that side of the business to anyone. I'm not really sure how that stuff works.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back