Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Western Hunter for Life

BigRed

Well, I'm back from my first western hunt after just moving to Colorado a year ago. Elk Camp near Meeker, CO. I drove out Wednesday evening for the 4th rifle season with a cow tag and a pile of gear. The guys in camp had scouted Tuesday and hunted the opener. The area outside of Meeker has one of the highest populations of mule deer I've ever seen/imagined. We counted over 100 deer in just the first day. As far as the elk, they are harder to find. No one had been seeing anything anywhere. We talked to a lot of people and covered a ton of ground driving 2 tracks, and hiking into remote mountains. On the second day of the hunt, on our way to our spot, we saw 4 elk crossing the road out of the public land and into private... go figure. So we headed in anyway thinking there was a chance there were more behind them, or they may cross back. We were wrong. No elk as day 2 winds down and we are getting tired from the brutal hiking. We get back to camp and hear that the rest of the group had some better luck. they had seen a half dozen cows in the area they were hunting and even got some shots off. However they missed. We had also gotten a nice snow storm that rolled in that day which we were hoping would start some more migratory movement and get some elk in the area. So on the 3rd morning, Saturday (realistically the last day of the hunt) we had a choice, head into nasty remote mountains, or try the area where the group saw elk the day before. We chose to go with the last known sighting. So we got to the parking area at around 5am and started in. About 2 miles of oak scrub and 1500 feet of elevation gain and we were at the top with good views below us. We then stalked our way around ridge and still hunted up high until about 9am. After a nice break for some food we started down a ridge line that took us to an area that is difficult to get to hoping the elk were hiding from hunters there. We split up to cover 2 separate valleys and I went north further from the car and slow hunted my way down along the north slope of the valley. I decided to head lower to check out the creek bottom and climbing through 2+ feet of snow I headed down to a fallen tree about 100 yards up from the creek. I ranged a few points across the valley and then after only a few minutes my eyes caught movement. I figured it was deer because I was down on my luck but on second glance it was elk. 5 cows headed down the hill moving fast. I jumped behind the fallen tree into the snow and used the tree as a rest. I grabbed my range finder and they were heading right along the ridge at 338 yards. I was hoping they would at least stop and they did one better. They turned and headed straight at me. They hit the aspen stand I had previously ranged at 220 and stopped. I took a deep breath, leveled the crosshairs on the lead cows shoulder and squeezed the trigger on my 7mm. It felt good, and she dropped her head and I knew it was a good hit. She ran down the hill another 50 yards and just stopped, probably about to pile up. I made sure and put a second shot through both lungs. She didn't take another step. She collapsed in a pile right there. I had just filled my first elk tag in Colorado. I was ecstatic, I was fist pumping and cheering and then realized I didn't know where I was in relation to the car. I grabbed the GPS and was 1.6 miles as the crow flies, and about 2 miles of hiking. I went over, and got to work. WOW elk are GIGANTIC! I dragged her down the hill to a flat spot near the creek and got to skinning and quartering her. 2 quarters off, 1 backstrap and 1 tenderloin and I was exhausted. I loaded the 1 hind quarter, the backstrap and tenderloin into a game bag and stuck in in my backpack. I dumped my water to save any weight I could, took a deep breath and started off. It was a grueling hike and I was exhausted to the point of collapsing and the 70 pound pack on my back was not helping. But I made it to the parking spot just before sundown. Turns out my buddy Chris thought I was in trouble (we hadn't talked in like 6 hours) so he left me a pad to sit on, an extra layer, and a gallon of water which was awesome. He had gone for help thinking that I was lost so after sitting and resting I started hiking up the road. Eventually I found them and all was well. We went and got the gear from the trail head, loaded up and headed to camp. Fresh tenderloins over the fire with celebratory cigars and whiskey. It was a good day.

The crew was leaving early the next day so we helped pack up and then decided we needed help to get the rest of the elk out. We talked to a girl at a gas station and she called her brother who is a rancher and he was happy to help. So we met up with Cowboy Brett and he hiked in with us and a pack horse and we got everything out in 1 trip in less than 3 hours so we could head home. It was a wild and crazy experience and I'm completely hooked on hunting out here. The challenge of getting away from the crowds and the amazing views and great people made for an awesome trip. Cannot wait for next year!

Pictures wont work so I'll try again later.

Back