Western Bowhunting

1_pointer

I was wondering what traits make the ideal western bow? I know that much harsher terrain is crossed than here in IN, so is a compact, light bow what you need. Or would something that is a little heavier and more forgiving be better. Here in IN there is not much of a 'need' for a light compact bow. Just wondering what you prefer.

Also, what are the distances of normal shot opportunities? I know the country is alot bigger, can a person get close?

Here in Idaho your bow cannot have a lettoff fo more than 65%,dont know what is in sorrounding states.Any bow should work other than that.I hunt mostly by spot and stalk last year I harvested a 3 point buck at 20 yards in sagebrush.Two years ago I fouled up a shot on a nice 4point muley at less than 10 yards in dark pines(arrow fell off string,buck fever).I dont like sitting still so tree stands arent for me.Using the wind,wearing good camo,practiceing shooting a bow in akward positions are important in my book.Heard alot of comments about how smart a whitetail buck is compared to a muley all I can say is they never have stalked a mature 4 point muley.Sorry kinda got off the subject.Post if you have any more ???

I have never hunted mulies, and am not trying to start a pissing match but I will pass on a saying of Fred Bear, whom I feel everyone respects. He said that bighorns, mountain goats etc... are hard to hunt because of where they live, but if the whitetail could learn to live in the same territory you'd never kill one. Just thought that was an interesting saying.

Must not be too smart they haven't learned to live in our mountains yet
biggrin.gif
Just Joking. I have friends that come and visit me here and always tell me how stupid our Mulies are! My answer is "Well I don't see one in your cooler!"

Both species definately have different traits and are a blast to hunt! One smarter than the other? Don't think so! Both smarter than me? Why of course, they outsmart me all the time
biggrin.gif

Later,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back