Went up shit creek

schmalts

With a paddle.. So there is this private little lake near my house. Can get to it by canoe up a mucky, narrow, twisty creek if you have the ambition. Never did it before, did not know what to expect. Well... it took almost 2 hours to get up there, portaging over trees, standing knee deep in muck (yes my socks were really white) and swatting skeeters. half the time we were actually paddling on the bank it was so narrow. Well the fishing was great, a limit of crappie, and to our surprise they were not spawned out yet. Kept a couple gills but they were not even close to getting on the beds. It has been a coooold spring and everything is way behind. Next trip will be for bluegills, that is if I get the ambition up.
crappies.jpg

I seriously miss warm water fish species. A man can only catch so many trout. Nice crappies.

Well Schmalts, it ain't Shit Creek, even though we caught one of those shitty rainbow carp.

Wasn't much of an adventure either. Drove the wife's boat out on the pond and commenced to putting a thrashing on some real "eating" fish - Walleyes. Released that one scrap fish with the pretty spots.

Wife doesn't take kindly to trout biting on her walleye bait. All I could do to keep her from clubbing that thing to death. But, then she would have had to eat the damn thing. :eek:

Pretty scenery, ugly subjects.

View attachment 6204

Wife says "If you hook 'em, you cook 'em." Her boat, so I ain't gonna argue.

View attachment 6203

For those of you not eating any walleye, well, wish I could help out. Burp!

Attachments

• 34170007.JPG
    34170007.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2400.JPG
    IMG_2400.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 241
Nice sandals phag...oh, nice job on the fishes.

Hey, I was wearing the Miller starter kit that day, I thought there may be hot chicks on the lake.
Bigfin, next time I will go with you, it looks like more fun.
really, the canoe, all of our gear, and even the cooler was covered in muck splatter from getting back into the canoe after going over the logs. I suppose if a guy took a small chain saw back next time it would make future trips a lot better. I just don't know how far in the future we can go because if the water level goes down even 3 inches it will be a lot harder to get through. I hear the bluegill spawn is really good in that lake, but I can get gills in other places too. Just not worth it

That's allot of work for crappie, The adventurer in you must have been dieing to get out. LOL Some good eating right there.

schmalts....I've never done any Crappie fishin'....do you fillet those things out or what? I'm assuming it's faily easy other wise you wouldn't keep so many??

Nice mess of fish guys...

Looked like a great day...

Well, ceptin crawling thru the "shit" with your Burkinstocks... :)

Nice mess of fish!
We knocked the tar out of them this weekend in Indiana also.
Fished Sat, Sun then a couple hours Mon AM. Cleaned 101 big crappie and 49 big bluegill and red ears. Stocked away 13 big bags of fillets, plus ate a pretty good mess of them.

schmalts....I've never done any Crappie fishin'....do you fillet those things out or what? I'm assuming it's faily easy other wise you wouldn't keep so many??

Yea they fillet nice and they are wide fish so you get a nice chunk of meat from them. Panfish are my favorite to eat of all, and most renewable so I stock the freezer with them and usually leave game fish go in certain waters.

I am having the truck serviced as we speak. Taking my son on a 2 day Speckled Trout and Redfish trip. I have never been, so I am looking forward to it. John

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back