Welsh Springer Spaniels

DaveAZ

When I see retrievers here in Arizona the majority I see are German Shorthair Pointers. Probably telling me something.
Has anyone had experience with the Welsh Springer Spaniel? From what I read they are very active but sound a bit calmer than GSP's. I read that the WSS's have a tendency to wander when off leash. Don't all bird dogs?
The earlier thread on GSP's gave me a lot of useful info. I like that they are very bright, probably less grooming, but it just sounds like they are off the charts on energy level. Sounds like 2 switches, on and off. I live in the desert and wonder how to give a dog like that the necessary exercise when our coolest summer mornings have a low of 92 degrees. Probably the same issue with the WSS. Just curious what desert hunters do during the hot summer months. Beginning my research on pointers. Not getting a dog pointer for another 2 years.

Any advice will be welcomed. Thanks ahead of time.

Brittany Spaniel. I'd put mine up against any gsp, hardest hunting dog I've hunted behind. Can you see my bias?

Not too hyper?
I haven't found mine to be overly "hyper" I assume you mean annoyingly so as all bird dogs are generally high energy. Usually a run in the morning and swim in the evening keeps his energy in check. I haven't found mine to be overly energetic in the house

Yeah, I currently have a 10 year old shepherd and I always take him with me on my mountain hikes. If I don't he's annoying all day long. I understand that dogs need exercise and mental stimulation.
But what everyone was telling me about the GSP's it sounded like they only had two switches, asleep or hyped.
I don't want to get another dog until Max goes. Wouldn't do that to him at his age. He's been a great dog but I'm definitely going pointer next dog.
Will definitely take a look at the Brittany Spaniel breed.
Thanks for all the info.

When I see retrievers here in Arizona the majority I see are German Shorthair Pointers. Probably telling me something.
Has anyone had experience with the Welsh Springer Spaniel? From what I read they are very active but sound a bit calmer than GSP's. I read that the WSS's have a tendency to wander when off leash. Don't all bird dogs?
The earlier thread on GSP's gave me a lot of useful info. I like that they are very bright, probably less grooming, but it just sounds like they are off the charts on energy level. Sounds like 2 switches, on and off. I live in the desert and wonder how to give a dog like that the necessary exercise when our coolest summer mornings have a low of 92 degrees. Probably the same issue with the WSS. Just curious what desert hunters do during the hot summer months. Beginning my research on pointers. Not getting a dog pointer for another 2 years.

Any advice will be welcomed. Thanks ahead of time.
I had a Welsh Springer Spaniel "Ralph" he has past on and is on the happy hunting grounds right now. He was a very smart obedient Hunting/Family dog. We killed well over 300 birds with him and he retrieved 99% of them he even retrieved woodcock.

WSS
> are not true quartering flushers. They excell at line hunting and thick brushy cover.
> Mine didn't like the heat and he had a very thick heavy coat.
> they work in close/ not a far ranging dog
> love water
> distracted by rabbits if hunting and area with lots of rabbits and will even chase them and bark like a beagle and bring them back around
> get alot of scent from the ground
> they do not cover alot of ground like the bigger long legged breds> GSPs etc.

Thanks for sharing that info. Need to do my homework.
Hope you're still hunting and young enough for another hunting companion. Sounds like wonderful times.

Thanks for sharing that info. Need to do my homework.
Hope you're still hunting and young enough for another hunting companion. Sounds like wonderful times.
DaveAz, yeah I'm still hunting but way to much travel for a dog right now as my daughter plays tournament softball.

Yep, remember those days. I made it to the other end. One getting her master's in biology, another with two more years in her nursing program, and twin boys both working as apprentice lineman. Was so busy with activities when they were younger hunting is something new and 3 out of my 4 kids are all on board. Hunted a lot before kids and it's exciting to be getting back into the game.

If I was hunting Desert hot country I'd be tempted to try a true Vizsla. The real deal doesn't have an undercoat and seems to do better in the heat. The newer lines of Vizsla seem to have an undercoat, my guess is it may be a local line as I live in the north. All the ones I've seen down south have no undercoat.

You see a lot of Munsterlander here, arguably where the Spaniels started. Some of the most loving and eager to please dogs I've ever worked with.

All long-haired dogs are going to pick up brambles and such in their fur, grooming can be a pain. All of my dogs for the last twenty years or more have been short hairs and they still shed more than enough.

Mudder, I've only known one Vizsla. My neighbor had one, very sweet dog but it really aged fast and had a lot of health issues. By age 4 he was already showing gray around the muzzle, looked twice his age. My dog was the same age as his.
The dog had allergies ( even allergic to grass), skin rashes, especially around the paws. By age 7 it had cancer. He spent over $3500 on medical bills and meds. His Vizsla barely made it to age 8. After that I thought that breed had too many genetic problems. It's the only Vizsla I've ever known so don't know if the breed in general has a lot of genetic problems or if it was just bad luck/breeding.

Mudder, I've not heard of the Munsterlander, will check into. Thanks for your input.

Mudder, I've only known one Vizsla. My neighbor had one, very sweet dog but it really aged fast and had a lot of health issues. By age 4 he was already showing gray around the muzzle, looked twice his age. My dog was the same age as his.
The dog had allergies ( even allergic to grass), skin rashes, especially around the paws. By age 7 it had cancer. He spent over $3500 on medical bills and meds. His Vizsla barely made it to age 8. After that I thought that breed had too many genetic problems. It's the only Vizsla I've ever known so don't know if the breed in general has a lot of genetic problems or if it was just bad luck/breeding.
I've seen a few, they are usually kept for add breeding Warmareiners and others to improve prey drive and nose. The only one I've really had any long term contact with was overly nervous and shy, inbreeding?. The descriptions evolve, my guess is people trying to breed to standard (looks) and too little attention paid to disposition and health. They are a very old breed, supposedly one of the original dogs. If I was interested I might try contacting a Hungarian or Italian breeder. IMO you are more likely to get a pup closer to the original, instead of a more westernized work in progress.
Long haired Weimaraners have become popular here, looking at them the bone structure is thinner than the real deal Weimaraners which are heavier built than many gun dogs. It happens often, breeders (breed organizations) tend to breed for some perceived ideal (looks rather than talent) neglecting the breeds true qualities.
I seriously can't tell the difference, other than fur coloration and eye color, between a long haired Weimaraner and an Irish Setter.
One reason I favor Curs is most lines have a lot of add breeding and tend to be less line breed (inbreed).

Thanks, Mudder. Starting to wonder about genetic diversity in all our AKC breeds. Will definitely look for breeders who have diversified bloodlines, not just local bloodlines.
Weimaraners and Munsterlanders will at least take a look. I've heard of German Shorthair Pointers, Welsh Springer Spaniels and Brittany Spaniels but not the Weimaraner or Munsterlanders.
I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions. I'm still hoping my dog Max is around a few more years. Might not be a bird dog but he's a good trail companion.
Thanks for everyone's input I now have lots of leads to consider as I start my research. Not a thing I'm going to rush.

Maybe someone can correct me, this might be wrong, but pretty sure Welsh Springer Spaniels are flushing dogs, so if the OP is looking for a pointing dog he might want to look at a different breed.

English Pointers seem to be pretty popular in the southwest

Thanks, growing up I used the terms loosely.
No, just looking for a genetically sound bird dog that's not super hyper. In a previous thread I only saw people talking about the German Shorthair Pointers. When I looked them up and read what people were saying on HT it sounded like they were too hyper.
Just looked up the English Pointer and then that led to me seeing another breed, the Puddle Pointer.
So whether it's a flusher or pointer really isn't too important to me. I'm looking for a bird dog without a lot of genetic issues (preferably12+ years of life expectancy), does well on moderate exercise without becoming annoying or destructive in the home, or driving my wife insane when I'm at work. :)

Back