Well happy friggin election Oregon... :(

@Sytes, I can’t really discern what you are advocating for here, if you are advocating for anything. Or are you just pointing out that polarized, extremist politics are bad? Are you saying that we Oregonians should try and swing liberal voters to a more conservative viewpoint, or that because of actions like 114 voters are going to swing that way anyway and it’s going to be bad for public lands?

I honestly don’t know what can be done to bring people to a more centrist position at the ballot box when the machinations of politics and media seem to be constantly working against it. We had an honest shot this year at electing a governor with no party affiliation, who is quite centrist. I supported her campaign, and voted for her, despite many people telling me that I was dumb for doing so and despite disagreeing with a number of her policy stances. I am sick and tired of the polarized status quo, and put my money where my mouth is.

The fact is, without major party backing (which brings a ton of money for advertising) the centrist Betsy Johnson’s campaign wallowed after the initial push this past summer. She was no longer prominent in the headlines, could no longer advertise, and most people that I know who supported her (but especially supported her centrist ideals) decided there was no way she could win. So people turned to the one or the other candidates of the big parties depending on their priorities rather than holding the course. Rather than voting for who they actually wanted. And of course she was crushed at the ballot box.

I don’t know what to do about that. It was the same for 114. Lots of money behind the initiative, lots of mailers and advertising saying it would help gun violence. I advocated against 114 and for Johnson within my fairly large circle of friends and family, but ultimately everyone did what they thought was best. And the middle got squeezed even harder.

@Sytes, I can’t really discern what you are advocating for here, if you are advocating for anything.
A few aspects

1.) I find Oregon a very challenging State for minority Democrats (moderate) and other Registered I, R, L, etc who reside in the 29 districts that are lost votes due to the 7 districts that hold extreme polarized agendas. I don't envy you guys/gals.

2.) As in Montana, taking Buzz's comment in a different thread, about Republican ownership and how it's the voters who are reaping their voted Republican anti conservation agenda - I am disappointed with the extreme, "must vote for only R or D" B.S. It's the same however, w/o the metro city mass population dominating the rest of the State, as Oregon faces.

3.) Progressive extreme action, such as Measure 114 is infectious and considered right up there with Massachusetts for gun control wins. With organizations, such as Gifford's and one that, IMO, holds strong convictions due to her direct impact with criminal use of a firearm, and she is a genuine, well spoken proponent for Gun Control - I fear for what this represents. I admire her husband and her though far from her stance on firearms - as mentioned, to the extreme of registering bb guns!

4.) As for the precedence set by Measure 114, on a national level and the failure, implosion of NRA, I'm concerned 2A advocates have an exposed flank that is hot on target.

I'm advocating for uniting with a force to counter the building power block opposed to the 2A. It's a real challenge and a reason I've always advocated for maintaining an open mind for ALL party nominations - not merely a single party.
Example: my voting record in MT... Not acting as a holier than thou - merely as an example: Weigh the Pro v Con. Conservation is a lead agenda though in the grand scheme, there is 2A, Veterans, borders, international economy, etc. Tester has been one I've repeatedly voted for due to his 2A stance as a D, his devotion to our Veterans, conservation support, and his core roots as a Montanan. However, he also has to vote along Party lines on many occasions - and that's the game played. Though an example of one I accept the cons due to his Pros.

People are buying guns and walking out minutes later, others are getting their guns after the 3 day limit, neither of which are happening at sportsmans.

Utah we can't gamble, buy lotto tix, aerial fireworks, or herb. Solution road trips to NV, ID, WY, CO.

Drive to ID.
No pistols sold to non-resident’s in ID, and it’s Fed Law that no matter what state a firearm is sold in, the seller has to abide by the state laws of the purchaser.

So that’s not a solution.

We haven't had a honest selection, sorry I meant election, since 2016. And that was only because we showed up in numbers they didn't anticipate. I honestly doubt a majority of orgeans voted for that Gustapo nonsense. But like Stalin said, its not who votes that matters, it's who counts the votes that matter. We're all screwed unless we fix the core issue (not legitimate elections).

I do feel bad for yall. Those are some ridiculous rules they're trying to put on yall. Most certainly unconstitutional but that's going to take a year or more of your rights being trampled before maybe a court reverses it. There are other states to live in too. I understand it's not always easy to just move to another state, especially if your family is still there. But the flip side is if you can give your family a better quality of life then sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and move. I have to think it's not just the gun laws in Oregon that are not good. If the gun laws are that bad id imagine the culture as a whole is not good. We developed this entire nation seeking a better place to live.

It's not that simple. A few liberal counties on the west side of Oregon decide the vote.
Same here in CalNevada,2 counties decide the election for all the rest of the state of Nevada.
Anyone thinking of moving to Nevada might as well live in California,as it's the same commie state now.

No pistols sold to non-resident’s in ID, and it’s Fed Law that no matter what state a firearm is sold in, the seller has to abide by the state laws of the purchaser.

Road trip to commie Nevada,you can't do most of the stated stuff here either,so don't bother.

We haven't had a honest selection, sorry I meant election, since 2016. And that was only because we showed up in numbers they didn't anticipate. I honestly doubt a majority of orgeans voted for that Gustapo nonsense. But like Stalin said, its not who votes that matters, it's who counts the votes that matter. We're all screwed unless we fix the core issue (not legitimate elections).

I do feel bad for yall. Those are some ridiculous rules they're trying to put on yall. Most certainly unconstitutional but that's going to take a year or more of your rights being trampled before maybe a court reverses it. There are other states to live in too. I understand it's not always easy to just move to another state, especially if your family is still there. But the flip side is if you can give your family a better quality of life then sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and move. I have to think it's not just the gun laws in Oregon that are not good. If the gun laws are that bad id imagine the culture as a whole is not good. We developed this entire nation seeking a better place to live.
I found work in New Mexico (yes, a thoroughly blue state) in large part because we could no longer stomach OR politics.

The previous governor was "selected" due to the resignation of the newly elected Dem Governor in 2014, due to the Oregon equivalent of the Hunter Biden story. The Oregonian had the story on the malfeasance of the gov-elect and his girlfriend's use of his office for their financial gain, but spiked the story until after the election because an evil Republican might win.

Now with our tyrranical gubna being reelected, there is no telling what the blue morass will do to us. But it will take slow moving New Mexicans a decade to get where OR is today. I hope to be gone from here before then (loooong before then).

Or kids live in the PNW, in the big cities. I used to love to visit there, but hate both of the cities I used to love. And the mindset that our adult kids have adopted is crosswise to ours and to how they were raised. The think-with-the-heart and discard logic approach is appealing, insidious, but oh so wrong. I never say never, but I cannot imagine living in Oregon again. And I miss that beautiful state and the "regular" people that haven't gone Oregon weird.

I honestly don't know if it is worth the energy to stay and try and change the course of Oregon. It just hasn't gotten bad enough for there to be change. And if it has got to get worse before it gets better, I don't think I'd want to be on that ride. And we have no idea how worse it has to get before change.

David
NM

I live in FL and ID. My legal res is FL and Cabalas in Post Falls won’t sell me ANY firearms long or short.

I haven’t tabulated all the counties but in NE Oregon only about 60% of registered Republicans voted. IF that number had been 80% we would likely have a new Governor and wouldn’t have 114.
”life is hard, it’s harder when you’re stupid” John Wayne. Stop bitching get out and vote next time people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back