Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Weird moose meat

p_ham

Cooked up some moose tonight, immediately upon opening the package I noticed it smelled...different. Not like it soured or anything but it smelled like willow but not quite.
Smelled normal searing it but after I opened the pot after a slow cook I had to open up some windows. I sampled a small piece and it tasted ok. I shredded everything up and threw it in a cast iron for a quick final sear, smell was lessened then. Every now and then I would get a "willowy" bite. Anybody else encounter this? Not much opportunity to eat moose here in NV.
Bull was shot in MT this year, I wasn't there so I dont know how it was handled.

I have heard(no personal experiance, since i cant draw) from guys who shot a lot of moose that every so often they will just be a funky tasting one. One buddy who guides in AK told me same and said 1 every 20/30 moose he sees it, not terrible but just not as good and doesnt seem to be any common factors. He says you know it when your breaking him down, just a different smell...maybe its true but not knowing how was broke down and process is likely also. Hopefully its only 1 dinner.

Cooked up some moose tonight, immediately upon opening the package I noticed it smelled...different. Not like it soured or anything but it smelled like willow but not quite.
Smelled normal searing it but after I opened the pot after a slow cook I had to open up some windows. I sampled a small piece and it tasted ok. I shredded everything up and threw it in a cast iron for a quick final sear, smell was lessened then. Every now and then I would get a "willowy" bite. Anybody else encounter this? Not much opportunity to eat moose here in NV.
Bull was shot in MT this year, I wasn't there so I dont know how it was handled.
After many years applying I finally drew a moose permit for nearby in Gallatin range. I had a fun season hunting and watching moose, even drew my bow on a small bull (shoulda shot him). My son and I located several medium antlered bulls, but then in November I found a big one ... only to see he had only one antler (shoulda shot him)! So I went back down and found a medium bull (with okay antlers) in the creek bottom. I shot him and after six trips in my sled, took him home and had meat processed. After having eaten delicious moose meat previously I was disappointed at the terrible bitter willow taste of the meat. We ate what we could, fed much to family and friends' dogs, and donated meat to the Raptor Center.
Then some SOB entered our property and stole the antlers off the shed roof where they were drying. To this day my moose permit recollection leaves in my mind's eye the wonderful vivid images of the many moose scouted ... but also a bitter willowy taste in my mind's mouth!:mad:

Back