PEAX Equipment

Weird cartridges

New to hunting and hunting rifles, have been reading many things on the different calibers. Is .308 Win still a good hunting caliber? .308 is by no means strange or rare, I have noticed that most rifles are either .308 or some form of 6.5, also that most of manufacturers say that there is major drop off after about 200 no matter how much powder is on the round. Where does it compare to something more expensive like .257wby?
.308 is arguably the best balanced whitetail deer round. In fact, its ubiquity makes it weird today in a world of supercharged magnums and hipster wildcats (of which I own a few).

New to hunting and hunting rifles, have been reading many things on the different calibers. Is .308 Win still a good hunting caliber? .308 is by no means strange or rare, I have noticed that most rifles are either .308 or some form of 6.5, also that most of manufacturers say that there is major drop off after about 200 no matter how much powder is on the round. Where does it compare to something more expensive like .257wby?
Pretty much most anything a 458 Win Mag will do so will most any other cartridge! Killing is not so much about what cartridge your using as it is how you use what you have! I have been through magnumitus and these days my two favorite cartridges for pretty much everything are the 6.5x55 and 260 Rem. Just find all the muzzle blast and recoil is an un-necessary add on I can do without!

.308 is arguably the best balanced whitetail deer round. In fact, its ubiquity makes it weird today in a world of supercharged magnums and hipster wildcats (of which I own a few).
I'll see your .308 and curb stomp it (and the deer you won't shoot at 400 yards) with my 30-06 Ackley Improved! Get that heresy out of a perfectly good thread.

I'll see your .308 and curb stomp it (and the deer you won't shoot at 400 yards) with my 30-06 Ackley Improved! Get that heresy out of a perfectly good thread.
I’m on the east coast we don’t have that much open land. If I was out west I would use 7mm PRC or something bigger

My dad had a 22-06ai back in the 1960s, he said that some light bullets wouldn't make it to the target. It was a pre-64 model 70 Win. Originally a 220 Swift he killed some deer and antelope with it. He had it rebored to 6.5-06 ai in the 1970s

I found a 256 Newton empty brass while antelope hunting years ago. It was very similar to a 25-06. I had never heard of it at the time.

In gun shops i see a lot more used but like new 6.5 CM for sale than i do .308 rifles. I assume people keep their 308s while newbie hunters sell their 6.5s

In gun shops i see a lot more used but like new 6.5 CM for sale than i do .308 rifles. I assume people keep their 308s while newbie hunters sell their 6.5s
Probably not a great assumption, lots of new hunters use both 308 and 6.5.

A 224 valkyrie necked to 20 with a twist appropriate for light bullets would be a coyote machine.

There was a gun shop in a local feed store here locally. It is closed now. The owner had a rifle chambered in .256 Newton, I wish I would have token a leap and bought it…
Ya want to try a 256 newton? Have a rifle chambered for 6.5x06. I got one. Love it but there's no magic. Ya still have to place the bullet's right!

Back