Weatherby Mark V Hunter owners?

Keep on

Did a quick search and didn't come up with too much on here about the Mark V hunter.
Anybody have one and care to share your thoughts? How has the accuracy been, and is there anything more to be gained by going up $1000 for the backcountry 2.0 other than shedding a half pound or so?
Looking at picking up one in 280 AI or 270 Win. Like the 24" barrel and the weight at a little over 6 lbs is a draw, plus one of the only Mark V's offered in conventional calibers. Put my hands on one at the factory last fall and was impressed with it, but I've always been a $6-700 rifle guy, this would be my first foray into higher end bolt actions.

The peak 44 stocks that come on the back country are available for purchase separately now. You could always upgrade that later or their custom shop will probably put one together for you now in a 270 ($$) The only other difference is a fluted barrel on the back country.

I bought a Mark V last year in a Backcountry 2.0 300 WBY. Absolute cannon but I can overlap bullet holes at 100 yards. The muzzle break and butt stock pad make the gun recoil feel like a .270. My absolute favorite gun. Only weird issue I’ve noticed is that it’s hard to close the bolt when reloading a bullet from the magazine. My claw extractor doesn’t grip the rim of the bullet which is probably a small defect somewhere.

I have a 30-06 Mark V Ultra Lightweight and a Mark V 270win Cinderlite. Both are similar to the hunter but have fluted barrels. I bought both because they were available in more conventional calibers. I do not regret either. I put barebones VX3 scopes with Talley lightweight rings on each to keep the weight down. These were my first “nice” rifles and well worth the investment. They feel very solid and refined. Both of them shoot better than my capability. I like that the Hunter has a more substantial barrel. I have handled a Backcountry. Nice rifle but I am not sure the weight savings is worth another grand. It also is much more limited as far as available calibers. Either way, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Love my Backcountry, it def outshoots my skills and is a dream to carry. Looking forward to its first hunt here in a few months!

Bare gun

Ready to go
View attachment 232568
That’s insane lol. Weatherby has it figured out that’s for sure. Do you have any issues closing the bolt with a bullet in the chamber.

Cool looking rifle, debated getting one in 270 win as well.

That’s insane lol. Weatherby has it figured out that’s for sure. Do you have any issues closing the bolt with a bullet in the chamber.

No issues to date though I’ve only got a little over a box down the tube. Trying to actually follow the bbl break in “correctly” though it shot great right out off the shelf. Have got four different factory rounds I'll test to see what it likes the best but so far the Hornady eld-x is looking the most promising.
Good luck with your choice!!👍🏻

No issues to date though I’ve only got a little over a box down the tube. Trying to actually follow the bbl break in “correctly” though it shot great right out off the shelf. Have got four different factory rounds I'll test to see what it likes the best but so far the Hornady eld-x is looking the most promising.
Good luck with your choice!!👍🏻
Krieger barrel?

Mine shoots 3/4:-1" at 300 yards. Its the best I can do. Just like MarvB, I have the Back country 2.0. it ll be a pleasure to carry it this fall on my back pack trips.

I cant do conventional calibers anymore, but whatever caliber this gun it is, makes a whole different feeling compared to other rifles.

If i didn't already have a all the conventional rounds I would get this in a 300mag and never look back.

I have 2 boxes down the pipe and no feeding issues.

Attachments

• IMG_5925.jpg
    IMG_5925.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Mine shoots 3/4:-1" at 300 yards. Its the best I can do. Just like MarvB, I have the Back country 2.0. it ll be a pleasure to carry it this fall on my back pack trips.

I cant do conventional calibers anymore, but whatever caliber this gun it is, makes a whole different feeling compared to other rifles.

If i didn't already have a all the conventional rounds I would get this in a 300mag and never look back.

I have 2 boxes down the pipe and no feeding issues.
That's just a good looking rifle. Full stop, fact.

I always wanted one in -06.
But I have a tackdriver 700 and I don't know if losing a pound would ever be worth it to me.
Just liked Weatherbys and lived near them for years.

I bought a Mark V last year in a Backcountry 2.0 300 WBY. Absolute cannon but I can overlap bullet holes at 100 yards. The muzzle break and butt stock pad make the gun recoil feel like a .270. My absolute favorite gun. Only weird issue I’ve noticed is that it’s hard to close the bolt when reloading a bullet from the magazine. My claw extractor doesn’t grip the rim of the bullet which is probably a small defect somewhere.
Might have some carbon/crap/brass shavings under the extractor??

You guys keep posting pics of these backcountry models and it's going to cost me some extra money.
Think I'm going to do a safe clean out and see if I can scrounge up enough for a backcountry.

That’s exactly what I did, wife asks “another gun? (Insert eye roll)@ and I said yup but not till it’s a wash with the squirrel fund. Got rid of three queens and a bunch of other crap I didn’t use and the safe and the man cave are the better for it! …course I forgot to tell her about Schmalts and the Lupe that was coming 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back