Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wearing Contacts in the Backcountry?

Single day wear/disposable contacts for me. I can't function with my glasses very well but I still carry them hunting just in case. Like others have said...the tried and true bar of soap is the easiest thing. It doesn't leak or expire. I carry a small light weight wash cloth as well that I use to dry my hands after I wash them (or just a small piece of any lint free cloth). Doesn't hurt to warm some water up on the stove in the morning before washing up.

Nope, contacts in the field are too much of a hassle. I bring 2 pairs of glasses, one, obviously a spare, and that's it. less hassle.

I’m not a fan of glasses either but always bring a pair as backup and an extra set of contacts with me (and another in the truck). I never ended up getting the daily contacts but could be a good plan, minus the trash. I do put a new pair in before heading out. Nothing worse than dry contacts at the start of the trip.

I use hand sanitizer or camp suds to keep my hands clean. Small towell or rag to dry off if you don’t want to use your clothes. I tend to be pretty thorough with cleaning under nails when out there. Had a corneal ulser one time and learned my lesson. I also keep them in my sleeping bag so they don’t freeze.

I use dailies and do change them everyday. I first clean my whole hands with disenfecting wipes containing 70% iso-propyl alcohol ((CH32)CHOH) Then I use another wipe just for my thumb and index finger. Just wait for your hands to dry, it doesn’t take long and then change out the contacts. Never had an issue with stinging my eyes and the IPA ensures sterility.

Use Ivory soap as it doesn’t have a bunch of junk that sticks to your fingers and gets in your eyes. Rinse well and then moisten your fingers with saline before you take them out or put them in.

For any Clear Care users, I use Clear Care to disinfect but if temps are low it doesn’t change to water as well so I put the case in my boots with socks on top to retain heat and keep the reaction going. Putting unreacted Clear Care in your eyes is not pleasant…
Really

You guys are making me feel like a slob over here. I usually just wipe my hands on my pants or something and pull em out or toss em in. I also will use the same solution for a a few days at a time on shorter trips. I have the same prescription in both eyes, so I store the contacts together in one side of the case and have a fresh batch on the other side in case I spill or get too much dirt in there. I’ve also used a small little empty dropper bottle I’ve filled with solution to have a little extra around. Always carry spares and sleep with em all in my breast pocket so everything is nice and body temp when I put em in.

I can usually get away with stretching the two weeklies out to a month, but was lucky to get a week out of them with the smoke and such this summer.
LOL, I've been wearing them for 40 years and the only time I get serious about washing my hands is if they are very dirty or after eating jalapeno chips. Even then I've never used more than soap and water.

I use bar soap. Bring an extra pair of contacts, an extra case and plenty of solution.

My hunting partner brings drops and just sleeps in his. 10 days at a time...

I personally got Lasik before I ever did any more than a couple nights without removing them and if Lasik is an option for you do it. Best $3000 I have ever spent!

I just rinse my hands with water and pop em out..same thing in the am. I bring an extra pair of contacts in case I lose or rip one and pack my glasses too for evening and morning. Easy as pie.

One more contribution here that I recently reminded myself of the hard way: Put your contacts lenses back in BEFORE your morning “sit” over a cat hole and subsequent wash-up with hand sanitizer. Pre-dawn alcohol burn in the eyes is no fun.

Are y'all putting in contacts in < 10F in the pre-dawn hours camping? I gave up this trip. I can do it mid-day if I'm back at camp but first thing in the morning I just stick with glasses. I don't like them as much as contacts but the hassle factor is a lot less. Just having un-frozen water to drink is a hard-enough problem to deal with much less getting some clean contacts into my eyeballs.

I always carry plenty of extra contacts as well as a pair of glasses just in case. I try not to take them out I have the 30 day wears

Have worn contacts for thirty five years and would never sleep with them in my eyes while in civilization. But this year I’ve learned that a couple blinks in the morning and I was good to go for days at a time. Arrived at the trailhead for a seven day backpack hunt to find that my hydrogen peroxide bottle exploded apparently due to altitude, temperature, or both, so I had to make it work.
Would also add that wet wipes are good for a first pass but lots of lint so usually want to follow up with water or solution.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back