Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wearing Contacts in the Backcountry?

Zarno12

I'm one of the lucky ones who wears glasses/contacts. I hate wearing glasses for any type of activity, including fishing and hunting. When at home, or glamping, I'm always meticulous about washing my hands before putting my contacts in or taking them out. I haven't tried using the daily, or extended wear types, for many years.

If going on a backcountry hunt, what's your recommendation for good eye hygiene? Either force myself to get used to the extended wear types of contacts, or does anyone pack anything special for washing their hands to pop 'em in and out? And no, I'm not going to use just hand sanitizer and then try putting them in my eyes. If you've ever handled a tree frog and then touched your eyes, it feels about the same :ROFLMAO:

I loved being able to wear contacts when I hunted, especially in wet Oregon. A no-go today, with my eyesight and dusty New Mexico. I wore the kind of lenses that were supposed to last like 3 months, but I could get a lot longer out of them if I treated them as "regular" lenses, and cleaned them and put them in solution every night.
Scrupulous hand cleanliness is essential, as you understand. In a pinch, wet wipes and hand sanitizer might get it for your hands, but only in a pinch. If I were to do it today, I would
1. Wear a pair
2. Carry a spare pair
3. Carry at least one spare pair of specs.
This is from someone that has reached the point that the first thing I do after I get me feet on the floor is to pee, the second being putting on my glasses (beginning to think I need to reverse that order).

Having made beer for a time, the concept of sanitary was key to have acceptable batches. As for your hands, the same rule applies as for making beer: you can't sanitize what isn't clean. But after cleaning, I'd still use sanitizer and wait a bit before playing with your contacts.

Use Ivory soap as it doesn’t have a bunch of junk that sticks to your fingers and gets in your eyes. Rinse well and then moisten your fingers with saline before you take them out or put them in.

For any Clear Care users, I use Clear Care to disinfect but if temps are low it doesn’t change to water as well so I put the case in my boots with socks on top to retain heat and keep the reaction going. Putting unreacted Clear Care in your eyes is not pleasant…

After fighting for years to get them as clean as possible, I went and got lasik. It is so much nicer to wake up and see. I always had problems with dirty contacts no matter how careful I was.

I bring wet wipes along in a zip lock bag and use for most everything.
I scrub my finger tips with them and put them in

I loved being able to wear contacts when I hunted, especially in wet Oregon. A no-go today, with my eyesight and dusty New Mexico. I wore the kind of lenses that were supposed to last like 3 months, but I could get a lot longer out of them if I treated them as "regular" lenses, and cleaned them and put them in solution every night.
Scrupulous hand cleanliness is essential, as you understand. In a pinch, wet wipes and hand sanitizer might get it for your hands, but only in a pinch. If I were to do it today, I would
1. Wear a pair
2. Carry a spare pair
3. Carry at least one spare pair of specs.
This is the way.

Unlike OP, I've found that my eyes prefer the longer-use contacts. I think they are "approved" to stay in for up to a week continuously, though in practice I wouldn't do so for more than about 4 days. That said, even in very dry climates I haven't had an issue sleeping for a couple nights with them in.

Bring those backup optics for sure. You never know when your eyes will rebel against you and decide that you aren't wearing contacts for a while. I have had issues in very dry climates where my lens solution will evaporate from the case quickly. Once the contacts dry to a crisp, I haven't had much luck rehydrating them.

If you are set on the daily contacts, maybe find some hand wipes that are more soap-like than hand sanitizer. Or bring a bit of soap and the extra water required for hand washing.

I have contacts that have to come out at night. I gave up trying to wear them in the backcountry. It's one the main reasons I car camp more often now. I never could figure out a way to get the lenses in my eyes without it feeling like sandpaper.

When I do backpack hunt, I just stick to glasses. Way more user friendly. I got transitions to help with the sunny days.

I cannot sleep in any type of contacts. My eyes will not tolerate it. I use premium dailies. Keep them in the breast pocket of my shirt to keep from freezing. I use Huggies brand wet wipes, which are soapy. Don’t bring the entire pack of wipes - it’s too heavy and big. I clean my fingers really well to put in and remove the contacts. I bring my eyeglasses as a backup.

I have to have contacts. In the past, I would rinse my hands off at the end of the day and wipe my fingers with a wet wipe to keep things sterile. I switched to one a day contacts recently and I think those are going to be more comfortable under hunting/camping conditions. Wet wipes are great for the back country and they beat the hell out of tp as well.

My wife uses here transition glasses whenever we are camping.

It is just too dusty.

She wears contacts around the house most of the time.

It is a challenge for her.

I wear two-week contacts all year, except when I'm out West hunting were I switch to one-a-days. My ophthalmologist recommended it. They don't add much weight and at the end of the day you throw them out. Wash your hands when you wake up (I use alcohol wipes) and put the new pair in.

I use daily disposables and bring extras. just get your fingers as clean as possible when putting them in.
if temps are well below freezing, make sure you keep in your pocket or somewhere warm so their not frozen when you wake up in morning.

Back before Lasik I used to carry a washcloth and a small travel sized bar of ivory soap. I would just wash my hands at night before taking them out. Now this was back in the mid-late 90's so contacts have probably advanced since then.

This is the way.

Unlike OP, I've found that my eyes prefer the longer-use contacts. I think they are "approved" to stay in for up to a week continuously, though in practice I wouldn't do so for more than about 4 days. That said, even in very dry climates I haven't had an issue sleeping for a couple nights with them in.

Bring those backup optics for sure. You never know when your eyes will rebel against you and decide that you aren't wearing contacts for a while. I have had issues in very dry climates where my lens solution will evaporate from the case quickly. Once the contacts dry to a crisp, I haven't had much luck rehydrating them.

If you are set on the daily contacts, maybe find some hand wipes that are more soap-like than hand sanitizer. Or bring a bit of soap and the extra water required for hand washing.
x2

Also...

I typically use the hydrogen peroxide cleaners for my contacts, but when I'm in the field I switch to the flat cases and regular solution. I've found found the vertical bubble cases get knocked over in the tent and/or the reactions slow with low temps and they don't work great.

You could try the old fingercot. I like things that have multiple uses so you could use it as a barrel cover if needed as well. 1631117901755.png

You guys are making me feel like a slob over here. I usually just wipe my hands on my pants or something and pull em out or toss em in. I also will use the same solution for a a few days at a time on shorter trips. I have the same prescription in both eyes, so I store the contacts together in one side of the case and have a fresh batch on the other side in case I spill or get too much dirt in there. I’ve also used a small little empty dropper bottle I’ve filled with solution to have a little extra around. Always carry spares and sleep with em all in my breast pocket so everything is nice and body temp when I put em in.

I can usually get away with stretching the two weeklies out to a month, but was lucky to get a week out of them with the smoke and such this summer.

I did as several people stated here. I carried 2 extra pairs - I actually put in a new fresh pair of 2 week contacts the day before my hunt. I brought a sealed fresh pair plus my old pair. I brought a small travel Contact solution, wipes, and I would wipe then slightly rinse my finger tips. And then dump a drop of solution on them.
I tried to gently rub/scrub my contact before putting them away for the night and in the morning.

I do have to say though Lasik is on the top of a Short List of things I want done for myself in the next couple years!

... Always carry spares and sleep with em all in my breast pocket so everything is nice and body temp when I put em in.

I can usually get away with stretching the two weeklies out to a month, but was lucky to get a week out of them with the smoke and such this summer.
SAME!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back