Wear and Tear

Mainer207

Hey guys,

I've been running my 2013 Silverado up and down mountain dirt roads and logging roads in Maine almost every weekend for the last year and a half. She's treated me well, especially for lightweight tires (will upgrade when these are toast), but I burned out some brakes more quickly than I would've liked.

So, are you guys running the high end pads on your rigs?

Also, do you think the weekend warrior off roading -- nothing crazy or any rock crawling by any means -- tears a truck up quickly? What tips, aftermarket parts, and maintenance do you guys recommend?? I try to keep the truck cleaned up regularly so that the mud isn't grinding into moving parts, but the truck certainly looks better with a little mud on it!

Don't want to be too soft, but these trucks aren't cheap, and I'd like to keep her around.

I buy the mid to upper end brake pads. Longevity seems to be better, and I don't like to listen to them squeal.

I don't skimp on tires or shocks. Change the fluids, filters, and keep it greased.

Reactions: LCH
One thing I'd look into if I were you is to replace your differential fluids more often then recommended. That in theory should help keep those running longer when you're abusing them.

Also check your intake for dust. I notice when I run the dirt roads of South Dakota, dust makes it past my air filter no matter how good of one I buy. I tend to change my motor oil more often to help keep the wear related to that dust down.

Tires I run BFgoodrich All Terrains and I like them a lot, but I have also heard good things about grabbers as well.

I don't run anything else aftermarket on mine, so I can't say much for mods. Some people love those cold air intakes, but I can't stand the noise from them. Same goes for aftermarket mufflers.

Only other mod I would do (not knowing your current set up) is to make sure I had a limited slip differential in the back, and if you go through some tough locations an electronic locker for the front. but you may already have the rear and most people don't run lockers on the front unless you really end up in the mud/snow.

Grease anything you can. I spend good money on suspension and brakes. I run a 2500 though and they are hard on both. I think preventative maintenance goes a long way and good suspension spares other things in the truck when you run in rough ground.

One thing I'd look into if I were you is to replace your differential fluids more often then recommended. That in theory should help keep those running longer when you're abusing them.

Also check your intake for dust. I notice when I run the dirt roads of South Dakota, dust makes it past my air filter no matter how good of one I buy. I tend to change my motor oil more often to help keep the wear related to that dust down.

Tires I run BFgoodrich All Terrains and I like them a lot, but I have also heard good things about grabbers as well.

I don't run anything else aftermarket on mine, so I can't say much for mods. Some people love those cold air intakes, but I can't stand the noise from them. Same goes for aftermarket mufflers.

Only other mod I would do (not knowing your current set up) is to make sure I had a limited slip differential in the back, and if you go through some tough locations an electronic locker for the front. but you may already have the rear and most people don't run lockers on the front unless you really end up in the mud/snow.

Thanks for this. I'm taking it in for some brake work and will have them check the differential fluids (I've only put 23,000 on it since I bought it). I'll have to look up how to check the intake for dust.

Any issues with having mud caked on? I try to wash it often, but it's near impossible to get at on the undercarriage. I'm guessing a good rain on the highway will take care of most of this.

My setup is GM postitraction. I have had great performance in mud and snow considering the mediocre at best tires I'm running. Can't wait to put something a little bigger and more aggressive on it.

Grease anything you can. I spend good money on suspension and brakes. I run a 2500 though and they are hard on both. I think preventative maintenance goes a long way and good suspension spares other things in the truck when you run in rough ground.

Any tips on key areas to grease? Or should I just ask the mechanic to hit it while he has it up on the lift for oil, etc. every few months?

Thanks for this. I'm taking it in for some brake work and will have them check the differential fluids (I've only put 23,000 on it since I bought it). I'll have to look up how to check the intake for dust.

Any issues with having mud caked on? I try to wash it often, but it's near impossible to get at on the undercarriage. I'm guessing a good rain on the highway will take care of most of this.

My setup is GM postitraction. I have had great performance in mud and snow considering the mediocre at best tires I'm running. Can't wait to put something a little bigger and more aggressive on it.

I'm a poor one to ask about caked on mud and salt spray. In all reality both speed up the corrosion process from a theoretical standpoint. Does mud speed it up enough to be noticeable? That I can't speculate on, but the theory of corrosion says it will trap moisture and if there is a slight nick in the paint, it will start to corrode faster than if that nick wasn't covered in mud.

I don't really wash my truck, so that's why I'm a bad one to follow....

depending on your truck looking at the intake can be easy or tough. For my ram, when you pull the resonator box (which is the big flat box on top of the engine block) you look right at the throttle valve and in my truck I can see and feel a super fine dust layer. Not really gritty, more like the dust you find around your house, super fine and light.

Any tips on key areas to grease? Or should I just ask the mechanic to hit it while he has it up on the lift for oil, etc. every few months?
Mechanic can do it. But if you have u joints with grease zerts then hit them. It also if it squeaks then lubricate it. You can use silicone for rubber bushings on sway bar bushings etc. it makes a difference.

Grease.
U-joints, ball joints, steering components.
Mud
Wash off as good as possible. Sooner the better. Pay attention to the wheels/brakes.
Mud will build up in the rotors/drums and around the pads/calipers.

I use spray silicone on spring/shock bushings, also swaybar bushings. I also use silicone on door seals, and airfilter seal.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back