'Waterproofing' Sheep Boots

ThunderNocked

I'm up in Fairbanks, AK and nobody in town carries Crispi boots or their 'gear'. I looked into it what Crispi recommends and they suggest getting a 'breathable waterproofer that is designed for Gore and not Wax'. I was looking at using Sno-Seal or something similar. Any reason I should use a more specialized waterproofer? Thanks, I leave for my 13 day sheep hunt in ....13 days!!!
Also looking to get an insert replacement so I can have a better insert and then if the replacement gets wet I can use the factory.

Are your Crispis all leather or leather/nylon? If all leather I like Kenetrek’s boot wax, but I’ve used a lot of sno seal too.

Are your Crispis all leather or leather/nylon? If all leather I like Kenetrek’s boot wax, but I’ve used a lot of sno seal too.
They are the Nubuck Leather. Briksdal GTX with insulation. They said not to use a boot wax... I guess I'm not sure what the difference really is. I've been hunting out of rubber boots for so long that I haven't maintained leather boots. They said to get a cream, not a wax, that would let the leather and gore-tex still breath.

They are the Nubuck Leather. Briksdal GTX with insulation. They said not to use a boot wax... I guess I'm not sure what the difference really is. I've been hunting out of rubber boots for so long that I haven't maintained leather boots. They said to get a cream, not a wax, that would let the leather and gore-tex still breath.
I’ve used the beeswax based on my gore-tex, and e-vent boots with good luck, but I’m guessing they mean something like Nikwax cream.

Cool, I'll take a look. I picked up Sno-Seal at a local shop today because it was the only thing they had. I got Nikwax for my pants (DWR finish was garbage) but they didn't have anything for boots.
I'll check another place in town.

I have been told by both Kenetrek and Schnee’s that Obenauf’s can cause the rubber rand to delaminate, just FYI. I’d be careful using it on mountain boots unless the manufacturer recommends it (unless you’re talking pac boots or White’s type boots, which it works well for).

Last edited:
Spit shine my wild rocks before every season.

Your feet will be wet if its raining for more than a day or two. No water proofer out there will work, unless you can dry them out and reapply once its worn off after a few days of hiking. I've rarely had dry feet on a hunt in AK, just pack more socks and rotate as needed.
I'm bringing 2-3 pairs of wool socks plus a pair of seal skins. That is my plan. I just wanted to give my boots the best chance I could to keep them dry as long as possible!

Your feet will be wet if its raining for more than a day or two. No water proofer out there will work, unless you can dry them out and reapply once its worn off after a few days of hiking. I've rarely had dry feet on a hunt in AK, just pack more socks and rotate as needed.

No wiser words have been spoken, this is fact in my experience also....

I have had luck w/sno seal and kennetreks product, they both appear to be very similar to my untrained eye

what he said. even if it's not raining, but you're hiking alot your feet will sweat especially in insulated boot. so if not from outside, they will get wet from inside.

Well luckily we only had one day of really bad rain, between Darn Tough Wool Socks, Little Hotties at Night, and Gaiters I was able to keep my feet mostly dry. Only Really bad day was a day I didn't get my Gaiters tightened down all the way near the end of the 12 days. It was a heck of a trip. Thanks guys!

Back