Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Waterfowl opener

mtmiller

Well I made it out with Axl and we chased some ducks. I was trying to hold out for greenheads and a good kicker duck, but the mallards were too smart. I did pick up a limit both days and it was quite a variety.

Here is Axl at the boat ramp.
P1030463.sized.jpg

Here is another shot of the two of us. I am a little rough after sleeping all night in the back of the pick-up.
P1030476.sized.jpg

Lots of brown birds. I didn't know this was a drake until after he landed in the decoys. He paid the price.
P1030483.sized.jpg

I found this guy on the refuge and even though it is a poor picture I wanted to show the interesting markings on this guy.
P1030435_2.sized.jpg

In the evenings I chased whiteys with the bow. I was just looking for a doe (hoping for a big muley later in the season), but this guy peaked my interest. I only got this quick shot at 200 yards. I thought he would end up in bow range, but he never came back out of the trees. Maybe next week I will have a better look at him. He is worthy of an arrow in my book.
P1030439.sized.jpg

Day 2.

I picked up a couple of mallards right away, and then things slowed down again. Tough to get birds when the temps get into the 70's and the water is like glass. Here is a shot of Axl at work.
P1030515.sized.jpg

He was getting bored with the little birds, so I had to make him work a little harder. Although, I think he was having a good time as well.
P1030517.sized.jpg

Here is the end result for the day.
P1030526.sized.jpg

My little brother is coming up from AZ this week, so it is back to the pond. Hopefully I will get back out for deer/elk before rifle season rolls round in three weeks.

Dang miller do you ever take a bad picture?? ;)
Once again thanks for sharing and congrats to you (and Axle) on the limits! Looks like you got a little wind on the pond that second day.
Are spinners allowed back there? Sometimes that does just the trick for flat & blue!

Looks like you got a little wind on the pond that second day.
The wind did come up, but it wasn't until after nine and I only had one duck to go.

Are spinners allowed back there?
Spinners are legal, but I rufuse to use an electronic one. To each there own, but I don't want to use a battery operated spinning duck. On the same note, I have thought about getting a spinner that is wind powered.

Great pics!! we had more geese come in then we had ducks.

Ended up with a limit of geese on Saturday and I got a full plumage wood duck on Sunday. I was jacked about that.

It was the first duck hunt I had my lab, Jess, on. He did great I will get pics up as soon as I get developed.

mtmiller,

Hope you get that whitey, he looks pretty good.

Nemont

We've got only one battery spinner in our rig but it rarely gets used anymore as you can't have battery operated dekes in the first split of the season and by the second half we've "geared down" to small set ups on the ponds. We do use 3 wind spinners for most the first half- one lander type and two goal-post types that seem to help when the weathers blue bird.

Mtmiller,
You think a touch of albinism in that goat?
He'd sure make an interesting mount.
My brother just got home from a rig in NW Nodak, said it was 22 on Sat. a.m.
Locals up there said most of the birds are still stacked Saskatoon and north. I guess very little of the grain will come out this year in the northern prairies.

WD

Sweet pics. That whitey is a dandy... Hope you can close the deal on him!

Man I miss hunting them ducks.

(Get any video ?)
I shot some video of Axl chasing down some birds, but no shooting at decoying ducks. As I have mentioned, I am a prick to hunt with, so I am usually solo and Ax doesn't have that thumb to run the camera. :D

Congrats on the ducks! I didn't know you shot Canadians??? Is that duck hanger thingy from Caballos? ;) :D

That whitey would certainly garner some intrest from me!

I really envy you guys up north! I can't wait till wednesday night. I'm taking my 'ol West Virginia hill billy buddy up to the Idaho panhandle to chase after the bugling boys! Maybe some day I can come up with some kind of business where my family can survive up there... anywhere!

Sorry, I didn't mean to get off thread, but seeing those pics of the geese/ducks and everything else, just drives me crazy!

Great pics MtMiller! I'm foaming at the mouth just thinking about the drive!

Back