Waterfowl backpack

skimerhorn

I just picked up a Drake backpack to help carry some gear and free up my hands and pockets. I was curious as to what those who use them pack for day trips? I'm not sure exactly what to put in, I usually over pack

We usually take the boat to an island then walk into the back waters on the Mississippi. This is a basic list of what i carry in my pack. The first 2 most important things are a basic first aid kit and toilet paper. After that i carry a small hand saw shells hat gloves calls snacks thermos of coffee hand warmers and camera. Only carry a few decoys in sepseparate bag to start with.

We walk in probably about 300 yards so i have more decoys in the boat if i decide i want more. We also have a Coleman stove and a cooler of food in the boat for a midday meal. I will tell you hot food while duck hunting always hits the spot. Anything else i think i might need stays in the boat just incase i think i might need it.

I will also recommend keeping some dry clothes handy. On a late November hunt with a cold front moving in my oldest son (about 14 at the time) took a fall in the water. Fortunately we had 2 boats there so i took my boy immediately back to the truck and then back to our trailer to dry off and warm up. My dad then brought my other son and his buddy back after that. I told dad not to worry about the decoys and i woild get them later (dad is older and mot in the best of health). Everything turned out fine but when we went back the next morning to get the decoys they were completely froze in. It took us 3 hours to take some tree branches and chop a path to the decoys and get them out.

Back