Yeti GOBOX Collection

Water Holes

NV_ARCH3R

It may be just a coincidence, and mean nothing, but last weekend while cow elk hunting I hiked into 3 different dirt tanks in different draws. the first two hand moss and algae growing in them with no sign of game activity. The third had no moss or algae, and had elk using it (saw em). Were the elk using the third because it had no moss or algae in it, or was there no moss and algae because the elk were using it and keeping the water stirred up?? Or am I thinking too much and doesn't mean anything??

You're overthinking it. I've seen elk and deer drink from some pretty nasty water if it's all they had.

I also have seen elk and deer walk past standing water to get to other standing water they seem to prefer. Most likely a taste issue luring them to a particular water source or predator smell keeping them away. Your scouting is paying off, though, and my only advice is if there are not many water sources per square mile and there are a lot of tags that can get possessive and awkward around those scattered water holes on public lands.

You're overthinking it. I've seen elk and deer drink from some pretty nasty water if it's all they had.

+1^ Deer and Elk aren't particular.If there's water and thats all there is they will not stop
until they are sucking mud. :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back