MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Water Heater replacement Ford vs Chevy on brands?

Cammy

Will need to replace a water heater this year as the current one, while still working, is struggling with recovery is 29 years old and most likely is half full of sediment. My area of Commiefornia requires the installation of an ultra low nox water heater. My question relates to brand or features that standout as reliable. The old Ford or Chevy argument right? Looking at videos and reviews there are plenty of Ford or Chevy arguments out there and many installers have their personal favs. Anyone have thoughts or has lived through this type of project?

Bradford White is what I get. RUUD is good also. You get what you pay for as far as longevity, the good ones last 10 years, sometimes a little longer.

I installed an AO Smith and I made a boneheaded mistake and cracked the gas valve (that extra 1/4 turn to snug it up was too much 🤦🏻‍♂️). I called the manufacturer fully expecting to pay for the replacement valve and they overnighted me a replacement 100% free of charge. Other than that, they all perform the same basic function IMO.

We install hundreds of A.O. Smith water heaters every year. All in all, there pretty much equal.
We had an A.O. Smith water heater in our home when we bought it. Only God knows how old it was, it did however last for 15+ years. I replaced 3 in the last 20 years since then. They don't make anything that lasts anymore.

Tanked water heaters are getting so expensive you might look at a tankless. Naviens are the best in my opinion.

My Bradford is 17 years in and still doing great. When it go’s I’ll be doing a navien.

I just installed an A.O. Smith in my house my self last month. Can’t speak to longevity as I had some other terrible brand in there before. But the quality seems nice and the price was good. I sprung for the higher tier Signature Premium, it’s low Nox and has a 12 year warranty. It was only 25% more or so than the 6 year warranty model so worth the extra to me.

Any issues with the Honeywell electronics instead of the old school regulators? All of the newer models seem to have the electronics for trouble shooting and control. Have read that they can be finicky and tend to fail at the worst possible time.

Tanked water heaters are getting so expensive you might look at a tankless. Naviens are the best in my opinion.
Can't get behind the tankless craze. When I lived in Turkey I had a tankless system that used a propane bottle next to the shower and the burner was actually in the shower. Had a solar system on the roof as well. Never could get a long hot shower that a tanked heater could give you. I have a couple of friends that have tankless and they are not impressed.

I would consider a recirculating system that gave you instant hot water at any faucet anywhere in the house. We are not planning to stay in this house forever so I want to install something that will last about 5 years and make the next guy feel warm and fuzzy when he buys this place.

Maybe someday tankless water heaters will be cost effective. They have a very high installation cost and a large upfront price.
I could buy 3 or 4 regular water heaters which usually last at least 10 to 15 years for the price of installation and 1 tankless water heater.

Consider: Rheem’s 40-gallon natural gas tank water heater (a best-seller at Home Depot) costs $429. The same company’s tankless propane water heater (Rheem RTG-84DVP), which Popular Mechanics recommends, costs $799.

Another model the magazine likes, the Noritz EZ 98, which runs on either natural gas or propane, costs $1,385 (albeit with a 25-year warranty and WiFi capability for you to control the temperature and view your water usage).

Installation costs​

These appliances should be installed by a professional plumber (at a national average cost of $2,000, according to HomeAdvisor.com). While the Noritz model we mentioned is designed to hook up to the existing incoming cold and hot water pipes, much like a conventional existing water heater, other retrofitting could involve creating a vent for exhaust or re-routing piping. Plus, there may be a fee for disposing of the current heating system.

Cost will outweigh savings initially​

Setting aside any allure for potential buyers, you’re likely to need a new water heater before the energy savings of a tankless water heater equal your initial expense. One study for the Minnesota Office of Energy Security found that these appliances pay back their initial costs after about 21 to 26 years.

Maybe someday tankless water heaters will be cost effective. They have a very high installation cost and a large upfront price.
I could buy 3 or 4 regular water heaters which usually last at least 10 to 15 years for the price of installation and 1 tankless water heater.

Consider: Rheem’s 40-gallon natural gas tank water heater (a best-seller at Home Depot) costs $429. The same company’s tankless propane water heater (Rheem RTG-84DVP), which Popular Mechanics recommends, costs $799.

Another model the magazine likes, the Noritz EZ 98, which runs on either natural gas or propane, costs $1,385 (albeit with a 25-year warranty and WiFi capability for you to control the temperature and view your water usage).

Installation costs​

These appliances should be installed by a professional plumber (at a national average cost of $2,000, according to HomeAdvisor.com). While the Noritz model we mentioned is designed to hook up to the existing incoming cold and hot water pipes, much like a conventional existing water heater, other retrofitting could involve creating a vent for exhaust or re-routing piping. Plus, there may be a fee for disposing of the current heating system.

Cost will outweigh savings initially​

Setting aside any allure for potential buyers, you’re likely to need a new water heater before the energy savings of a tankless water heater equal your initial expense. One study for the Minnesota Office of Energy Security found that these appliances pay back their initial costs after about 21 to 26 years.
I didn't realize Popular Mechanics was interested in water heaters.

Mmm not sure on the savings but the luxury of hot water is worth it. I get 50 gallon Bradfords for about 600 I get naviens for 1300 with parts installation is the only difference I can do a tanked water heater replacement in about three hours I can do a tankless in six in most applications.

So after much reading and you-tube surfing and a call with Jeremys4 we have decided to install a Navien tankless system. What swayed it for me was the space savings, stainless heat exchangers and the ability to descale the unit periodically. When we looked at the project which involves moving the existing heater out of a garage closet and buying an ultra low nox heater, a Navien install is only about $1200.00 more. I will never see an ROI on the unit as gr8bawana mentioned however, the next guy that looks into buying the house might enjoy having a system like this installed.
Appreciate everyone's input as always and thanks Jeremys4 for taking the time out of your schedule to talk with me.

You guys Jinxed me....

Yesterday I heard what sounded like an Arc welder from the attic, and that night the hot water was cold.

Waiting on a quote....

SO WH tested fine...Flipped the breaker back on and off a couple times...

And then it tripped 9 hours later!.

Now calling Electrician...

Hope your cecision works out.

It's been my experience that the tankless water heaters do not last as long as tank type, they also cost a whole lot more. Only reason I would install one is if I had space constraints or wanted hot water a real long way away from anything else.

Around here life expectancy of a water heater is 10-15 years. If you've got one much older, you better just go ahead and replace it as it's going to fail and it won't be at a good time, when it happens.

In talking to the Plumber he said On Demand Tankless was ideal for a cabin where you might have long periods of not using it. And I can see that. No "turning on the water heater and waiting a couple hours for hot water" when you show up for the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back