Water dog pup - Montana

JEL

We recently lost our 10 year old golden. She was an awesome dog but was more a pet than anything. We didn't hunt birds when we got her so we didn't train her. Now though my boys and I have gotten into waterfowl hunting. We are thinking of possibly getting a hunting dog. Any recommendations for a breed and breeder in Montana? Would be mostly waterfowl but some upland as well. Thanks in advance.

Look at Saturday Night Golden Retrievers in Lewistown. We got one two years ago and he is amazing. He can do anything a lab can and is much better to live with. They are a little pricey but well worth it I think.

Look up Doug Pierson in Great Falls, he lives in Sand Coulee and used to or still does own Strobel's Rentals.

Attachments

• Max 2.jpg
    Max 2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,625
I would also recommend a lab. I am not from MT but ND but labs seem to be very versatile dogs. Some are more hyper than others but when hunting that can be an advantage they go all day! My first lab was the runt of the litter and she has turned out to be a great hunter ( I know everyone thinks there dogs are the best) but for what I do I couldn't have asked for a better first dog. She being almost 10 still goes as hard as she can. Her daughter Skia is a ball of energy finally this winter she figured out pheasants!!! That was the coolest part of hunting with her, before she would follow mom around and mimic her which was good for her to learn but she figured out what her nose was finally for and man I tell you after that day it was on and she was flushing so many birds!! Trying to train her to find sheds this spring!

Best of luck picking a pup, train as much as you can when they are little short intervals at a time that's the one thing I still regret with Skia I didn't have the time to train her after I went to college but she has turned around now.

Jamen

I am excited as I have a deposit on a Jazztime black male pup. The father is Artic, Jazztime Northern Exposure FC-AFC. He is a Trip Frequent Flyer pup still running field trials at age 10. The mother is a Master Hunter QAA and an upland guide dog. Will be flying in from Minnesota in early May. Can't wait.

When I was in this predicament I went with a German Wire-haired Pointer. Smaller than a lab although on the bigger end of "pointers". A lot calmer than most pointer breeds, and best of all no shedding! Although they will obviously still lose hair. Most of my bird hunting is waterfowl and I have made my buddy into one hell of a waterfowl hunter.

Just another option besides a lab. I grew up with labs but wanted a change and could not handle all that hair all over everything.

When I was in this predicament I went with a German Wire-haired Pointer. Smaller than a lab although on the bigger end of "pointers". A lot calmer than most pointer breeds, and best of all no shedding! Although they will obviously still lose hair. Most of my bird hunting is waterfowl and I have made my buddy into one hell of a waterfowl hunter.

Just another option besides a lab. I grew up with labs but wanted a change and could not handle all that hair all over everything.

Having gone from a lab to a GWP myself, I'm in firm agreement here. I love the GWP for all around use. That said, if I'm shooting lots of geese over water then I'd stick with the lab.

+1 JLS
I have guided waterfowl for the last 20 years...

Their are only two water dogs in my mind...Labs (English for cold water) & Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breeders-montana/

Here is the website where I found the kennel I got my dog from. Has a lot of breeders listed and easy to find each individuals website. They also have classified section as well.

Good luck on getting a pup. I haven't had mine quite two weeks yet and am loving every second of it!!!

( Well, except when I am on my hands and knees cleaning up a mess on the floor... still not 100% housebroke.)

Thanks for the responses folks. I have contacted a couple of the suggested breeders for more information. Now, another question. Please don't laugh. �� My wife loves the idea of a goldendoodle or labradoodle. She thinks they are cute and likes the no shed option. Does anyone have any experience with these cross breeds as hunters? Thanks again.

Thanks for the responses folks. I have contacted a couple of the suggested breeders for more information. Now, another question. Please don't laugh. �� My wife loves the idea of a goldendoodle or labradoodle. She thinks they are cute and likes the no shed option. Does anyone have any experience with these cross breeds as hunters? Thanks again.

If you want an ugly dog that will hunt and doesn't shed....seriously go with the GWP. They are so ugly its cute, plus they are so easy to have around in the house. That being said, I do miss my lab, shedding and all. She was an all around fantastic working dog and family member. I'm thinking my GWP will need a friend soon and another chocolate lab might be welcomed into the family.

I have seen the labradoodle work, and IMO they can't take the cold...Their size has a lot to do with it, as with any breed....I am a firm believer a outdoor dog that lives outdoors, will condition there self to cold weather. Now you still have to be aware of cold water, but not near as much as your dog living in a controlled 70 degrees year around.

Buy her the doodle for indoors...get yourself a outdoor dog for hunting...

That's if your diehard waterfowl...couple times a year you may make out with the doodle. Just be aware of cold water.
It's not fun to watch a your dog die of hypothermia! Trust me!

Thanks junior71. Very helpful. We do lots of late season, cold water river hunting so that is definitely a factor. My wife isn't opposed to a lab. We just wondered about the possibility to have a little less hair around after having our last two dogs be goldens.

Thanks junior71. Very helpful. We do lots of late season, cold water river hunting so that is definitely a factor. My wife isn't opposed to a lab. We just wondered about the possibility to have a little less hair around after having our last two dogs be goldens.

You should see my place--- my wife has FOUR huskies that are sled dogs. We are now coming into "indoor" snow season!

JEL,
A little tip for the hair problem...They don't shed near as bad if you limit the indoors. We brush our dogs good in the spring/summer, and again mid winter. They love the shop-vac too...lol.
As the temps drop to below zero, we brush them and move them in house. They stay in the house for a couple months in the winter and a couple in the summer.
I would also recommend spending the money on training. Nothing like hunting with a well trained dog. Infact, I would rather watch a good dog work than shoot the birds!
We use to breed labs. I sure do miss having a couple litters of pups every year.
Good luck with your new pup.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back