PEAX Equipment

Washington lion

Dunning Kruger

Got this female lion in ferry county wa on dec 5th. Called her in making calm fawn bleats. Calling for about 23 minutes, when i noticed some really slow movement in my peripheral vision. She was creeping up on me on the other side of a thick bush just 5 paces away. It was my 8th or 9th attempt calling lions for the year.20191213_205843.jpg20191205_083032-800x600.jpg

Wow very cool!

So how he heck did you get a shot off to your side that close without it running off?

Wow very cool!

So how he heck did you get a shot off to your side that close without it running off?

I barely managed. Its all really fuzzy, but heres how it is, far as i can tell. It was right there on top of me, brush in the way. When i realized what it was, i swung my gun toward her slowly, the only thought in my head being that i was scared she was going to run when i pointed my rifle

She was walking straight on to me when i saw her. With my scope all the way down to 2x, it still took me what seemed like a long time to get fur in my scope, and i shot, not even knowing point of aim. I knew every second counted, and i had a damn lion about to pounce on me, so i wasnt being picky, just shoot fur.

So despite her being head on when i saw her, it took a few seconds to get fur in scope, and somehow i ended up shooting her perfectly broadside, but a bit high. Entrance wound was on her right side, exit on her left. Only thing i can figure is, when i lifted my gun, she turned 90° getting ready to run, and i hit her right before she bailed. That explains the broadside shot, and my difficulty getting her in my scope. But really, its all kind of a blur to me, but thats the best explanation i got. I puzzled over the whole thing myself.

I didnt even figure out what happened until the following day when i thought about it rationally, how it was facing me when i saw it, where the entrance and exit wounds were, it didnt add up at first. I was just so hyped on adrenaline i guess, i wasnt operating at full mental capacity, even for me. When i met up with a game warden a few hours after i made the kill to have the hide sealed, and he asked male or female, i didnt even know. Thats how scrambled my brain was, i didnt even lift her legs to check, i just threw her over my shoulder and packed her out whole, guts and all, a half mile. Even with a completely empty stomsch and not much fat, that was still a 90lb animal i carried out no problem thanks to the adrenaline rush. Really, i was geeked bad.

Last edited:
Love it! Saw my first lion this year and now I want one. I’m very jealous but not sure I’d have the stones required to be that close....not that you had a choice in the matter :)

Love it! Saw my first lion this year and now I want one. I’m very jealous but not sure I’d have the stones required to be that close....not that you had a choice in the matter :)

Just call where they cant bust ya until theyre point blank, then the size of your stones is irrelevant, youre in the situation regardless. I pack average sized stones. Im no jim corbett 😉

Closed reed call. Its the chunk of ivory with a lion track carved on it in front of the stump in the second picture.20200205_114624-800x450.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy
Wow. That’s something that’ll stick with you forever. Nice work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back