Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Warne or Vortex rings?

I have warne Tikka dovetail rings on my Tikka. No complaints from me, very strong rings. I've heard of ring marks from warne rings but I've never had issues. I've had warne rings on 3 different 4 different scope/gun combos and no problems. Are you set on the rail? Since you're using a 0 moa rail, it's not really gaining you much, other than weight. The Tikka dovetail system is very robust, especially with steel rings like the warne.

What separates the the better brands from each other besides price? I suppose one could take a stone to the inner edges of the rings to ensure that there aren't any burrs that could leave ring marks.

What separates the the better brands from each other besides price? I suppose one could take a stone to the inner edges of the rings to ensure that there aren't any burrs that could leave ring marks.
Lapping rings is fairly commonplace but I think it's overkill if scope is mounted on a rail. I had no problems with Warne vertical split rings marking my scope on a rail but I'm wondering if it might be because they are more fiddly to attach and tighten. I doubt it's due to burrs inside the rings.

I have several sets of the Vortex PMR rings that I use on various bolt guns. They are made by Seekins, serialized, strong and straightforward to use. Never had any issues using the Warne products either, but not a fan of the vertical split. Another choice you might consider are the Hawkins Precision rings. They are made here in Colorado Springs and I have a set on my Tikka currently. My set has an integrated bubble level as well.

There are lots of good pic rail ring options these days but do not get vertically split rings if you care about the function and reliability of your scope. They do not uniformly clamp the tube and have to deform it in an odd manner in order to securely hold it. They can contribute to issues like loss of zero, tracking failures, failure to return to zero.

Fun little video to help visualize how vertically split rings function (or dont).

Warne makes a handful of different rings, the mountain tech ones would probably work well. The vortex ones made by seekins are solid too.

Last edited:
There are lots of good pic rail ring options these days but do not get vertically split rings if you care about the function and reliability of your scope. They do not uniformly clamp the tube and have to deform it in an odd manner in order to securely hold it. They can contribute to issues like loss of zero, tracking failures, failure to return to zero.

Fun little video to help visualize how vertically split rings function (or dont).

Warne makes a handful of different rings, the mountain tech ones would probably work well. The vortex ones made by seekins are solid too.
That fellow sure didn't know a whole lot about scope mounting, but I guess he needed something to put on his youtube channel.

I think shooter's have gone overboard on shooting related products and today it seem's to me like quality is noted only by a higher price tag. Between Warne and Vortex rings I'd get what might be avaliable at a price I could afford! I just cannot imagine any company putting out a bad product if they want to stay in business long. My idea, get the set you can afford and use the extra money for gas and go fishing till hunting season get's here!

Why do you say that?
He obviously had the top screws in further than he should have had before he tightened the bottom. That does not let the bottom screws get torqued tightly on the bases. I have made that mistake myself when I first started using those vertical splits. He also was using his scope alignment rings backwards. It is fun video.

There are some $20ish ones on eBay that look very much like the Leupold Mark 4s. Makes me wonder if there weren't quite good enough to be Mark 4s.

I have 2 sets of Talley tactical scope rings. They are built solid as a rock. 1 set on a .300 win mag and 1 set on a .308. They the best scope rings I have used and I highly recommend them. They are a little pricy but are worth every penny if you are serious about your set up. I have 1 set 2 screw and one set 3 screw, both are outstanding scope rings.

Back