Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

want to try seaducks

skimerhorn

So I'm pretty hooked o the idea of trying seaducks. I've done plenty of puddle and diver hunts, but never seaducks. Being from va I think there might be a decent chance on them out in the Chesapeake Bay, but not sure. Does anybody on here have any advice on this? I know this is a do it yourself thread, but I may like to get somebody to take me out before I buy 5 doz seaduck decoys. Any recommendations for someone? It just looks like a lot of fun, and I have a lot of fun shooting any kind of bird.

I'd seriously suggest going with an outfitter. Aside from needing a few dozen deeks, long lines, anchors, drop lines, and clips you need a pretty big boat that can handle the open water. For a few hundred bucks you can have a fully guided, pre-scouted hunt with a fraction of the cost.

Go with an outfitter...too much stuff to acquire. They are not hard to hunt but are a way different experience for sure. I do not know anything about Pit Boss but when this many folks in such a small community recommend them they must be good.

Also hit the skeet field with your duck gun. Sea ducks are normally taken with crossing shots at relatively high speeds.

Sea duck hunting...

Unless you have a very good deep V boat and lots of decoys with the supporting equipment I whole heartedly suggest you go with a reputable outfitter. I spent most of the 70's, 80's and early 90's hunting sea ducks on the east coast. I had $$$$ invested in equipment. BTW, you have to be able to understand the tides, know the weather patterns from a specific area, know where the sea duck congregate, be a seasoned waterman, etc, etc, etc. These you may be confident and a safe waterman. But, sea duck hunting is a real challenge especially for a novice. Go mwith an outfitter to start. You will have a grand adventure. I put out in excess of 100 decoy blocks daily when hunting these ducks. I bought Herters canvasback decoys and painted them to represent common eider drake and hens. The ratio of drakes to hens were approx. 70/30 drakes to hens. I shot an old Rem. 870 that I had the finish powder coated to resist rust. All metal corrodes in salt water, therefore lots of maintainence is required for all including boat, motor, guns, decoys, lines, trailer and I could go on more. Try an outfitter first. Have a ball. MTG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back