Want to pay almost nothing for a light rifle .....yes it's not a Tikka

quiet22

I've brought this up before as a suggestion.....and I understand that many on this board appreciate the finer quality rifles....however.....if you are looking for a cheap/knockabout backup....... you can go today on Buds web site and pick up the youth Mossberg Patriot in 308 for $257.....I bought one a few months ago and I'm very pleased....shoots MOA with my required lead free GMX in Cali using a Vortex 4-12 Diamondback AO. I only suggest this here because if you are looking for a very light and very short 308 for hiking/climbing........and don't want to spend much.....here you go. My only complaints about the rifle is that it does not lock the bolt on safety and there is the slightest play in the extended bolt.......otherwise........I've been very pleased with not a single problem.

IMG_20170129_113153961_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170623_182705086_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170623_182705086_HDR.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,096
Last edited:
Quiet22:

What range is that first picture taken from? Is it a public range?

Great little rifles I grabbed one last year in a 308 for a beater rifle. For the money they are a pretty nice little gun and I'm not afraid to scratch it up backpacking it into some of the areas I forge into.

I bought a Patriot a few months ago, best deal off the shelf I've ever had. Plastic stock but ordered a wood one soon as I got home, couldn't get wood around here. Best off the shelf bedding I've ever seen, best off the shelf trigger and best off the shelf accuracy. Haven't done a thing to it other than remove the plastic stock and drop it in a wood one. No fitting at all and with handloads it hover's right around 1/2" all day. If I was in the market for another rifle right now, it would be another Patriot.

I love my Patriot 308. I am looking for a 243 and will probably get another Patriot. I topped my with a Vortex Diamondback. Great rifles.

Here's a target from my Patriot. The grids I drew at 1" but printed them in town and they came out 3/4".

The rifle w/3-9X Nikon. Box it's on is my chronograph and the table I used to use to frame photo's on. Got so much junk on it I had to get another table! Thank God I'm single!

...you received a VERY nice figured stock.........LUCKY!!!.........

to keep weight down and allow a little more 'freedom' when hiking and climbing....I went tupperware

I tested the legs on the Mossberg Patriot this morning at 200 yds.... having to pick a factory lead free for the left coast.IMG_20170730_112610011.jpg

Sat close to a Tikka T3X today with the guy next to me at the range fighting with the scope ring screws to his 300 WM.......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back