Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Walking Sticks for Hunting?

Increased stability.
I’m not very strong and I’m a bit of a klutz, being able to post out on trekking poles have saved me from tons of falls over the past couple years.
I also use them on all of my deer/squirrel hunting adventures in the Midwest. They make it much easier to climb the slick clay creek banks.
What’s that they say “4wd for humans”?

Ok, it sounds like you need them.

Definitely worth the less than a pound of weight they will take in the pack when you aren't using them. They are most helpful fully loaded but work great in areas with a lot of deadfalls.

I live in the mountains, am purty strong, and have a gymnast's balance, and I use trekking poles every time I go out. Why? They make my trail hiking easier and my off trail hiking more comfortable and safer. They save your knees on the way down whether you have a heavy pack or not. They were awkward at first, but after a few trips, I got used to them and now I never leave them behind.

I don't even know the brand of mine, but they are of the cheap carbon models. Super handy to have in the mountains. I just use one stick and thats all I need. Also handy if you want to wack your hunting partner on the back of the knees when your running from a grizz :p Hopefully he doesn't ready this lol

I don't even know the brand of mine, but they are of the cheap carbon models. Super handy to have in the mountains. I just use one stick and thats all I need. Also handy if you want to wack your hunting partner on the back of the knees when your running from a grizz :p Hopefully he doesn't ready this lol

He just bought a longer stick than yours. Good luck on the run.

I have a pair of Leki with snap locks. personally have had bad experiences with twist lock style. I love them for packing out, especially if have to go through dead fall type terrain or steep down hill. I did have an experience last year of hearing some other guys using them on somewhat rocky soil and you could hear them click clacking from 200yds away. I would through on the rubber tips or keep them on pack until packing meat out.

At least one Black Diamond Carbon Z pole lives in my pack at all times, and most of the time two. at 9 oz. each it's really hard to justify not taking it, pop it out for downhills, packouts, or nasty deadfall, or when you really need to cover ground in a hurry...
I definitely prefer carbon to aluminum as they are much quieter, the downside is durability, carbon poles and talus are a bad combo...

They are not expensive to start with and worth the investment. You want the more sturdy ones though. I used to have a cheap pair that busted on me when I slipped on loose rock. I recommend carbon or aluminum myself. Cheap ones are sometimes fiberglass and not sturdy enough. Cheap ones have clamps that wear down a whole lot faster but even then the better carbon and aluminum ones are cheap enough and good enough you can replace them regular and probably more cost effective. But I would not get fiberglass ones like I did.

Anybody ever use these for trekking poles?

I have cheap aluminum TrailBuddy poles and they work great. Some of the high-end carbon poles are very light and designed for hiking on trails, not off trail with a heavy pack. I particularly like them for stream crossings.

I have a pair of Leki with snap locks. personally have had bad experiences with twist lock style. I love them for packing out, especially if have to go through dead fall type terrain or steep down hill. I did have an experience last year of hearing some other guys using them on somewhat rocky soil and you could hear them click clacking from 200yds away. I would through on the rubber tips or keep them on pack until packing meat out.

I always run the rubber tips and keep an extra set in the pack.

I got some off Amazon. They were oversized. I quite like them. We have 2 pairs of the Costcos that are strapped to the frame packs. Why we were so late in plies for meat packing I have no idea.

4 bulls this year, those costco poles were great

I carry a sturdy bipod that doubles as a trekking pole and sometimes a dedicated trekking pole for the other hand. Wouldn’t leave home without that bipod/trekking pole. Additional balance and the ability to get of a quick and accurate longer range shot.

I haven't used trekking poles, but there is a creek I had to cross on 2 Elk hunting trips several times. I would find a driftwood stick. For whatever reason the driftwood in general seemed extremely strong. I didn't need it so much except when crossing the creek with a heavy pack. The creek wasn't deep but the wet rocks were slippery as can be. I used it like a cane to steady myself as the heavy pack made me feel more unsteady. It helped me a lot so I can only imagine that trekking poles could be very helpful as well in the same way. Only problem I have with them is that I have sooo much stuff with me on an Elk hunt it's hard to keep track of it all even though the merits of using them are obvious.

There are 3 occasions I use trekking poles. Packing camp in, packing camp out, and packing meat out. When scouting I use them a bunch.

Back