Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Walking Sticks for Hunting?

RugerHawg413

As many of you know I am going on my first elk hunt later this year, I was wondering if anyone used walking sticks while hunting and if you do, what type or brand do you have. Thanks for everything!

Do a search for trekking poles on the forum. Lots of people use them and you'll get a lot of different recommendations based on personal preference and budget. If there is an REI or similar hiking store near you check them out and see what feels most comfortable. I use some cheap ones I got at Costco. They work for me, but others would consider them garbage.

I picked up a pair of Leki from Sierra Trading Post a couple of years ago. I'd recommend the speed locking type of mechanism for adjustments over the twist type. I don't use them much except for when packing out something heavy on my back.

I had Leki poles (one decided it needed to be in a raging snowmelt flood) and a bunch of guys use Black Diamond. Recently bought a pair of Costco poles for snowshoeing. They seem to be pretty well built maybe not the lightest but good.

I'll echo Wy067 and suggest you get the camlock ones and not the twist lock.

RugerHawg413, Something else to possibly consider......shooting sticks. While not actually walking sticks, they do provide assistance for balance when in deadfall situations or ascending or descending a steep grade, or traversing across a snow covered rock field (finding where to place your foot)....while offering a huge bonus for assisting with longer shots. Also, another plus.....you always have a very stable shooting platform with you at all times. We’ve been using (my homemade) shooting sticks for many years. I’ve taken an antelope at 430 yards, when no other rest was available and brush too high for prone or use of daypack. At 48” tall, they really help on a steep downhill shot. With ideal shooting conditions, I would feel very comfortable on an elk sized kill zone to 600 yards from my sticks. memtb

Increased stability.
I’m not very strong and I’m a bit of a klutz, being able to post out on trekking poles have saved me from tons of falls over the past couple years.
I also use them on all of my deer/squirrel hunting adventures in the Midwest. They make it much easier to climb the slick clay creek banks.
What’s that they say “4wd for humans”?

I use trekking poles to pack out. I also have a trigger stick that I've used before, but it is a hollow metal tube, so it is loud! Its nice for glassing when you don't have/want to set up a tripod. Also can be used as a hiking pole. Good for long shots, but definitely gets put away for stalks.

I'm old & fat. I used trekking poles.

Went with some Columbia's for around $70 bucks or so and they have performed fine for a season. I think whatever you get, expect to replace them every couple of years. They're consumables, not unlike boots, etc.

If you get the cam lock type, be sure to check the nut that keeps them together. I had to lock-tite mine to keep them from coming apart.

I don’t use them when hunting, they are extremely useful when packing out meat.

Every time I've walked through deadfall without trekking poles I have regretted it.

Increased stability.
I’m not very strong and I’m a bit of a klutz, being able to post out on trekking poles have saved me from tons of falls over the past couple years.
I also use them on all of my deer/squirrel hunting adventures in the Midwest. They make it much easier to climb the slick clay creek banks.
What’s that they say “4wd for humans”?
I had the great fortune to grow up in elk country. Season 53 is rapidly approaching. I too am a minimalist, a good rifle, scope, knife and para cord about all I needed. About 10 years ago I had a severe ankle injury, started using trekking poles just to survive. I don’t leave home without them now. There are some really good techniques to employ them as shooting sticks as well.
Good luck, have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back