Waders that don't suck?

Do they exist? Of is that asking too much. I mean we have self driving electric cars and rovers 4-wheeling on Mars you'd think someone would figure out how to make waders that don't leak.
haha, exactly, no matter what, leaks start showing up after a couple of years

At work I am in waders at some point every week and put them through tests no wader was ever made to endure. (Wildlife biologist/property manager focused on waterfowl habitat) A couple of observations about waders I see is that high price doesn’t guarantee they’re going to last any longer than cheaper ones. I hate neoprene waders. Theyre waaaay to hot for being active. I end up sweating so much I’m almost just as wet on the inside as outside of the waders. And they’re also just not flexible enough. Having a size 13 foot most brands have the body to match and although I’m a big dude I don’t need waders with a freaking 56” chest. Being in Louisiana I don’t have to deal with the cold like people do up north so having ridiculous insulation just makes me sweat more. Even the handful of days each year we have have the water iced over the insulation isn’t necessary for me, just throw on an extra layer of pants. Busting through ice frequently is a real wader killer too! Glad I don’t have to do it much.

All that being said my favorite waders are Magellan brand Tred-Lite 400 Breathable Boot Foot Waders. 1) They’re cheap. About $140 a pair. Even if I spend 4 times that on waders they won’t last long enough to make it worth dropping more Benjamin’s. 2) When you do inevitably poke a hole or a seam starts to leak, they’re super easy to repair. As long as it’s not in the boot I can put a little silicon on the hole and tape both inside and out with gorilla tape and it holds perfectly. Holes through the boot pretty much ruin them, but hey, they aren’t expensive to replace. 3) they’re super flexible and aren’t a sauna inside. With temp swings from 20-75 degrees in a couple of days there’s no need to be committed to sub freezing waders all the time. And it’s also a lot easier getting around when you waders are as flexible as a pair of jeans. Anyway, good luck on your perfect waiter hunt, I don’t think they exist but depending on what you are looking for there are some dang good ones out there! And plenty View attachment 120629that will make you wish you had really saved your money…
That's and I'll look into them, but I need more than 400 in the boot. My current ones are 400 and I worried about frost bite almost every drip from now till the end of January.

After reading this thread and listening to all the comments, it is clear to me that
1. There is a market for a better set of waders
2. Lots of people have different wader needs, so the market is open to two different types of waders (at least), mostly based on insulation
3. I'm not going to get away with having one set of waders (which I already have). I need another set.

Presumably someone here as a small pile of capital to invest in a start up company to make (in America, of course), the perfect line of waders.

Whomever that someone is, please hurry. The sooner the better :)

I’ve owned most of the major brands listed on this thread (Simms, Orvis, Cabelas, ll Beam). They all leak. I’ve had two Cabela waders leak first try - which didn’t matter when it’s return policy was easier.

I’m going to try Patagonia as my next set of leaky waders. I think Yvon will replace my leaky waders easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back